body images 2020 01 31 s o c i a l c u t 6iYb1BWWbV0 unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 31 s o c i a l c u t 6iYb1BWWbV0 unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Why Failure Will Never Define You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brock U chapter.

Failures and setbacks can be hard to deal with. They really hurt. And while there is no perfect potion that can help you feel better, it is important to remember that success isn’t a straight line. 

The truth is, most of us hear more “no’s” in life than we do “yes” and the most successful people have had more doors closed at them than what you’re led to believe. With all your emotions spiraling out of control when nothing seems to be going right, the shame and the guilt that comes along with it, it is important to keep a positive mindset because giving them power over your emotions will only lead you to go backward. 

Earl Nightingale once said what has now become one of my favorite quotes “Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal” which simply means that success is not about reaching the final destination but every step you take towards achieving your goals. All the difficulties; big or small, the hard work, the thought, the countless nights you put behind it were all successes because without them you wouldn’t have grown into the person you are today. And I’ll not tell you to not have a good cry (or not) about it, because the heartbreak you feel is valid but after that, you need to stop dwelling on it and learn to adapt and modify using a different point of view.

It might feel like you’re trapped in a perpetual realm but believe me, it is the way forward because rejection isn’t definitive because most of the time it is redirection.

So, I want you to be proud of yourself and how far you’ve come, how much you’ve grown, and how much you’ve learned because failure doesn’t determine your worth. Your mind, vision, and heart do.

Ayushi Bakshi

Brock U '22

Hey everyone! My name is Ayushi and I am the co-founder and president of HerCampus at Brock University.