Career

Establishing And Achieving Your Goals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brock U chapter.

It is really important to set realistic and specific goals for yourself, no matter how big or small they are. You risk losing sight of where you want to be and how you want to grow if you don’t. That is something that no one likes! You can do everything you put your mind to with planning and the right mindset. Here are five suggestions for setting and achieving your goals:

Make a list of your goals.

Simply write down as many things as you want – who you want to be, what you want to do, and what you want to have. This is the most important step in the process. Remember, the sky is the limit, so let your imagination run wild! Spend as much time as you need on this move before you’re certain that you’ve written down all of your relevant goals. One of the most important aspects of goal-setting is being descriptive.

Prioritizing – Scale of 1 to 10

Perhaps you’re feeling a little cluttered and aren’t sure where to direct your efforts. Prioritize your goals by ranking them from 1 to 10 on a scale of importance. You should prioritize the goals that are most important to you right now. Put a time limit next to each objective you want to achieve. This will help you figure out which goal needs more attention right now.\

It can be Overwhelming

Some people believe that they must accomplish all of their goals right now. Prioritizing and rationalizing your priorities can be difficult. It can get very overwhelming at times so please take your time and don’t try to achieve too many goals at once.

Setbacks are a part of life

There will be setbacks in your life. It is an inevitable part of life. However, you cannot let it discourage you.  Keep your eyes on the big picture and keep going. If you believe it is taking you too long to achieve your goals, begin from the beginning and develop techniques that are more suitable for you.

Take some time to consider different aspects of your life where you want to expand. Make sure you stick to your plan in order to attain your goal and stay on track. It can be helpful to tell someone you trust about your goals and ask them to check in with you on a periodic basis to ensure you’re on track. 

My name is Sharavi Sinha and I am the co-founder and editor in chief for HC Brock U