This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brock U chapter.

Stick to a schedule

analog clock on wall
Photo by Moritz Kindler from Unsplash

Sleeping and waking up at the same time every day helps set your body’s internal clock. Try setting a specific time to sleep every day and make sure to stick to it. Now I’m not saying you should be in bed by 9 pm (maybe?). Choose a time when you feel normally tired.

Create an ideal space

Self-care
Photo by Maddi Bazzocco from Unsplash

Take some time out to self-care. Take a relaxing shower, put on some music, wear comfy pajamas, journal, etc. whatever makes you feel more relaxed. Creating a space helps you establish a comfort zone that can help you sleep better. 

Avoid alcohol and caffeine

Latte in mug
Photo by Christiana Rivers from Unsplash

Alcohol and caffeine are stimulants that disrupt sleep. They stay in your bloodstream for at least 10 hours and make it difficult for you to sleep and you don’t want to be tossing and turning the entire night!

Do not exercise at night 

myths about gymming, women in fitness 4
Photo by CHU Gummies from Unsplash

Exercise is a great way to help you relieve stress and even sleep better and while there is no right or wrong time to exercise, it is a known fact that exercise releases adrenaline and all it will do is leaving you to feel more energized than sleepy.

Put your phone and laptop away 

person holding a remote control pointed at TV streaming netflix
Photo by freestocks from Unsplash

Melatonin is a hormone that is released by your when it is dark and plays a major role in determining your sleep-wake cycle. Exposure to electronic devices such as your phone and laptop, that release blue light can alter how much melatonin is secreted by your body. In order to sleep better, keep your phone and laptop away. That means, no late-night Netflix sessions!

Ayushi Bakshi

Brock U '22

Hey everyone! My name is Ayushi and I am the co-founder and president of HerCampus at Brock University.