Wellness > Health

Women in Sport: UoB Women’s Rugby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With England securing 2nd in the last 2017 World Cup and winning last season’s 6 nations grand slam, there is no surprise that women’s rugby is one of the fastest-growing sports currently in the UK meaning there is so much excitement surrounding the future of the sport. But the main question is… why haven’t you got involved yet?

The key element that rugby prides itself in, which is something very few other sports teams can claim, is that it really is a sport for anyone. Any build, height or even how loud you are… there really is a position on the pitch for you. Rugby plays off each players strength to create a game of inclusivity while promoting healthy competition. University of Bristol Women’s Rugby Football Club (UBWRFC) is one of only three universities in the UK that has three teams competing in BUCS (the universities leagues) meaning that even if you have never played before, you are guaranteed to compete in matches against other universities. Therefore, regardless of your experience or ability, you will be able to take full advantage of what university sport has to offer.

Now I’ve sold you, I know you’re desperately asking yourself… so how do I get involved!? Well, we have plenty of opportunities for you to get involved with. First is our ‘Give it a Go’ session that welcomes ALL female-identifying students to have a try with a rugby ball (pun-intended). Whether you are an international superstar, or someone who has never touched a ball before, everyone is welcome. Many people assume rugby primarily involves tackling, but there is a lot more method behind the madness. We will teach everyone the fundamental skills of passing, decision making and applying new rules to build up your rugby skills and knowledge. All you need to bring is a pair of trainers (or studs if you have them) and you are good to go. This will be at 13:30 on Saturday 28th September on the 3G at Coombe Dingle.

We will also be hosting a ‘This Girl Can’ session around November time, so keep your eye out for the dates for that, as well as a refreshers session in the new year. Additionally, an amazing thing that our club offers is a ‘4-week trial’, meaning you also have the option to join at any point in the year for 4-weeks without being pestered about membership but we are sure you will fall in love with the sport and people anyway.

With all of that said… see you at our next session!

We would like to thank UBWRFC for contributing to our Women in Sport Week.