Women Redefining the Music Industry: Interview with Jasmine Ketibuah Foley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

“The World Is Listening” is an organisation which set out to challenge the marginalisation of women in the music industry by creating an inspiring community which celebrates and recognises women in music.

This week I chatted with Jasmine Ketibuah Foley who represented TWIL at Shambala Festival and helped with their research into the music industry. Aside from doing this, Jasmine works with Ujima Radio as a producer/presenter and on BCFM on the One Love Breakfast Show.

What inspired you to get involved with TWIL?

There have been so many times where I have found it hard to be taken seriously and not seen as simply a “female” in music or a “female” in radio. I feel like it’s high time this changes and “The World Is Listening” is an organisation that echoes that feeling. Someone recommended I get involved with them over summer to help out with their projects, and after speaking to Nuala [a founding member of TWIL] I was inspired. It made me want to make other people talk about their experiences in the arts and not feel afraid to question gender and race inequalities in the industry.

How was your experience working at Shambala Festival?

Shambala was the most colourful melting pot of amazingness. Everybody I met there was so warm and there were a few live acts that have stuck with me since. As part of TWIL’s work at the festival there was a panel discussion with Rioghnach Connoly, Gwyneth Herbert and Anoushka Shankar which really got people thinking. They were three very powerful women each in their own way.

Did you interview anyone who particularly stuck with you, or hear any notable words of wisdom?

I got to interview Sister Sledge and they were extremely humble and loving. The way they spoke about how they wrote “We are Family”, and explained how it was about love, was so beautiful. They really wanted to just make people love each other more through their music. What I took away from the panel discussion was the sense that you should do it in your own way, make your own mistakes. Shape your own identity and embrace that.

Do you feel like the status quo of the music industry needs to be challenged? On your part, have you experienced any discrimination working in the industry?

Yes it does need to be challenged. As a musician I have experienced discrimination quite a lot and in the arts I regularly come across people who think I need someone to hold my hand. They see I’m a young female and immediately think I’m not professional or trained enough and then don’t take me seriously. It needs to be spoken about more in the mainstream or we will never acknowledge the elephant in the room, let alone address it. Also in 2011 statistics showed that 14% of PRS [Performer’s Rights Society] members were women…now that’s something that needs questioning, right?

What advice would you give to young women who wish to get involved in the music industry?

Always go with your instinct and be who you are unashamedly. Don’t let anyone tell you to be anyone different. No one else can be who you are so why change? You’re awesome!

Keep an eye out for Jazz, she is currently putting together an album of solo ukulele material whilst her band TODDLER is set to release an album in November.

Ilka Kemp - Hall is Features Editor of HC Bristol. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Bristol.