What’s on in Bristol this week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

When you’ve not been in a city long, it can be tricky to work out what you should be doing, where you should be going, and with whom you should be going. Now, this article can’t necessarily help you with the last thing, but we reckon we’ve got the first two covered! Here is a compilation of the week’s events!

Theatre

Alice

By Lewis Carroll, adapted by Poppy Burton – Morgan16th Oct – 18th Oct – 8.00pm, Saturday matinee at 2.30pm

18-20 Alma Vale Road, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 2HY

A magical, moving WW1 story of the real life Alice in Wonderland, told through imaginative puppetry and music.1915. Bombs rain down.  Sheltering in her dusty cellar, Alice rediscovers her past amongst old lampshades and moth-eaten christening gowns.  Her son, Alan, a WW1 soldier, makes the same imaginary journey down the rabbit hole to escape the madness of war, returning them both to a wonderland of talking rabbits, mad hatters and savage queens.

Music

King Porter Stomp (£4)

Friday 17th October, 9pm

The Golden Lion, BS7 8NZ

8 piece dub, ska, hip hop and funk extravaganza, King Porter Stomp, return to the atmospheric Golden Lion on the Gloucester Road.

www.kingporterstomp.co.uk

New Bristol Sinfonia Concert (Tiered Ticket Prices)

Saturday 18th October, 7.30pm

Victoria Rooms, Bristol, BS8 1SA

The New Bristol Sinfonia present autumn concert, featuring music from Elgar, Prokofiev, and Butterworth.

www.newbristolsinfonia.org.uk

Comedy

Comedy Box Presents …Robin Ince: Blooming Buzzing Confusion (£14)

Thursday 16th October, 8.30pm (Doors 7.45pm)

The Hen and Chicken, Bedminster, BS3 1JF

Following the end of his recent tour, Robin Ince brings his shouty, angry comedy to the Hen and Chicken for a night of enquiry into free will. Do we really have any say in the things we do? Are we controlled by the media? Get down to Bedminster to find out!

www.thecomedybox.co.uk

Hill-arity! (Free)

Sunday 19th October, 8pm (Arrive early to get a seat!)

The Hill, Cotham Hill

Bristol Improv’s fortnightly resident show above The Hill pub returns for its second show of the year, presenting an hour of comedy from up-and-coming stand-ups, followed by an hour of improvised comedy from the society itself, with performers fresh from the Edinburgh Fringe!

www.facebook.com/hillaritycomedy

Art

Artist Residency by The Mouth and Foot Painting Artists (Free)

Saturday 18th October, 11am-4pm (Drop-In)

View Gallery, Hotwell Road

Artist Vanessa Haarhoff will be appearing at the View Gallery to paint live in order to demonstrate how art can be created in spite of disability.

www.viewartgallery.co.uk/2014/10/06/vanessa-haarhoff

Cinema

Gone Too Far! (12A)

Fri 10 – Thu 16 Oct

Watershed

Destiny Ekaragha’s feature debut is a sparky and distinctive coming of age comedy about the adolescent passions and cultural tensions at play between a group of South London teenagers. Nigerian-born teenager Yemi has grown up on a council estate in Peckham, London. When his estranged big brother Iku comes to life with him from Africa, Iku’s terrible fashion sense, broad Yoruba accent and misplaced confidence with the opposite sex threaten to destroy Yemi’s already small amount of street cred. As the pair are forced to spend the day together on their estate Yemi is forced to confront local bullies, the unattainable girl of his dreams and his own African heritage, eventually teaching both of them the values of family and self respect.

Q&A with the Director and Writer after the 6.20pm screening on the 16th

http://www.watershed.co.uk/whatson/6049/gone-too-far/

Elinor is a third year English student at the University of Bristol. She spends a lot of time reading (less than she should), watching television (the opposite), and performing improvised comedy across the city and beyond! 
Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo