What is the BBC 100 Women Challenge?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The BBC first established the ‘BBC 100 Women’ campaign in 2013, but has recently unveiled the ‘BBC 100 Women Challenge’, an initiative which aims to tackle four of the biggest problems facing women today – the glass ceiling, female illiteracy, harassment in public spaces and sexism in sport.  They have created a list of 100 inspirational and influential women from around the world which will be updated every year.  From famous faces in sport and media, to ordinary women who have made a difference in their communities, the initiative aims to bring together a list of women who will share their experiences and inspire others to create innovative ways to tackle these issues.

Photo Credit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-41380265

The 100 women are split into four teams, tackling each of the four issues highlighted this year:

·      #Teamlead – the glass ceiling

• #Teamread – female illiteracy
  • #Teamgo – street harassment
  • #Teamplay – sexism in sport
  •  

The range of issues faced by women worldwide is undeniably much larger than this, however in focussing in on four key issues, the initiative stands a much greater chance in creating some real changes.  This move by arguably the UK’s most influential media company to not just address sexism but try to solve it to some extent, is an encouraging sign.  The hope is that this might inspire other large organisations to set up their own campaigns, creating positive influences in the media for women and girls.

The slogan for each team is ‘Change is coming’, highlighting the positive atmosphere that surrounds this campaign.  When you scroll through the website you see positive stories of women tackling everyday sexism head on, making a change from the often-demoralising reel of negative headlines that can surround news on women’s rights.  Another extremely positive aspect of this campaign is its encouragement of a sense that tackling these issues must be a global effort, that involves each and every nation.  The campaign comes under the BBC World section, with the team of 100 Women heading all over the world to achieve its targets; for example from the Silicon Valley to Delhi, to tackle the problem of female illiteracy. 

This season is featured on BBC News, BBC World television and World Service Radio, and information on the initiative and updates on its progress can also be found on its website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/875e94b8-021d-4411-93f4-a8d5e09d6adb/10…

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.