This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

New Uni, new you — not so much.

We all have a vision of ourselves starting university. A new group of friends, a new image – it’s the chance to reinvent yourself as everything you failed to be at school. Six months down the line and we, Alex and Ella, are here to evaluate how things have gone so far…

Nights Out

The nights out: arguably one of, if not the most important aspect of our new university life. As small-town (country) girls, we had low standards in terms of nightlife – Bristol didn’t have to do much to impress us.

The Expectation – With countless assurances that Bristol was “the party one”, we had visions of wild nights to come.

The Reality – After a first term in which we didn’t see outside the walls of Bunker past 11pm, we’ve decided its time to branch out. Abandoning the rest of Churchill to Pam Pam, we’re embracing the edgy side of Briz and seeing what Stokes Croft has to offer! We’ve also discovered the delights of the two-for-one cocktails that dominate Whiteladies, anyone for a Sex on the Beach?

Fashion

A new you needs a new look. Fashion, Bristol Style.

The Expectation – This is the excitement of wearing your own clothes to Sixth Form on a whole new level. We imagined ourselves strutting the streets of Bristol like something out of Vogue, on trend all year round.

The Reality – Having forgotten to buy a pair of hareem pants on her gap year, Ella soon realised that fitting in to Bristol wasn’t going to go as smoothly as planned. Solution? Get down to BS8 as quickly as possible to purchase an 80s windbreaker and a pair of well-worn Levi’s jeans. Not to worry, Alex has got her Air Maxes now.

Making Friends

Having sorted the image, surely friends would flock to our doors…

The Expectation – University is a hub of social activity, a diverse student body all ready to befriend. A unique community where background bears no determination on social status.

The Reality – Good god, everyone knows each other. Apparently boarding schools had all made a mutual decision to come to Bristol this year, forming a tightly knit group which proved difficult to crack. Seeking friends elsewhere we soon discovered that a London postcode was the key to success. Lacking in both areas we remain optimistic that these social barriers won’t deter us. We’ll get back to you on that one.

The Work

Oh yes, we are actually here to get a degree aren’t we?

The Expectation – Both being English students, we envisioned a leisurely three years reading some nice books.

The Reality – We have had a leisurely six months reading some nice books. Unexpected however, was the brutal discrimination against the Arts degree. Victims of abuse by the Engineers and Scientists, we power through our six hours a week and would like to express that the essays are quite difficult. Getting a first in English is not as easy as it seems.

The Verdict

Of course university wasn’t going to match our expectations, but we’re pretty pleased with Bristol. With our few contact hours we’ve had more than enough time to explore what Bristol has to offer. We can confirm that its many cafés, vintage shops, art galleries and amazing views make it a great place to be studying. We’d pick Bristol again any day!

Photo Credits: 1, 2. 3, 4

Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo
Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.