This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

For a lot of us, this time of year is the most difficult to navigate in terms of fashion for a number of reasons. The constantly changing weather makes it hard to find a balance between too hot and too cold, and whilst we’re drowning in layers when it does get cold, flattering styles and cuts forgotten, our outfits usually get sacrificed. I’ve always been one of those girls who find it hard to let go of summer styles and ends up getting ill early on in the autumn for sake of wearing my favourite mini-skirt one last time, but this year I’m on a mission to maintain shape and style whilst making sure I’m layered up for the oncoming changes in weather throughout as the seasons change.

The most important thing to remember when layering tactically for your shape is that you need staple items to work around that are suitable for the weather. These few pieces will act as the basis of keeping you warm in your outfits and are always on trend for autumn/winter: pieces that can be styled up or down and can be worn with pretty much anything, creating endless outfit combinations:

1. The perfect pair of jeans

‘Tis officially ‘jeans and a nice top’ season and this is something to be used and abused. This idea truly doesn’t automatically equal a basic looking outfit as there are so many possible combinations to create with it.

The perfect pair of jeans will vary from person to person based on which style or shape suits your figure and which you feel best in. Once you’ve found the perfect jeans, outfits become infinitely easier to style and you know that you’ll be keeping warm enough throughout autumn. I would suggest pairing blue denim with your brighter pieces and black denim with neutrals. A couple of staple outfit ideas are blue baggy jeans with a brightly coloured crop top for going out (to the pub until 10pm – rip), versus black straight leg jeans and a neutral coloured jumper for going into uni or getting things done throughout the day.

For me personally my go-to is a pair of baggy blue 90’s style jeans that I swear by as the one thing I can always throw on and look put together in – these can be tricky to style in colder weather, though, as often it’s tempting to throw on a baggy hoodie and huge coat to keep warm. With baggy jeans this kind of outfit will swamp you and drown out your figure, so if you want to maintain a flattering fit then be mindful to wear more body hugging pieces on top.

2. A staple jacket or coat

A waterproof jacket is essential for the UK weather we all know and love, but aside from that a staple coat is the perfect piece to elevate your outfits with little effort and keep you warm at the same time. This is great especially if you feel that your outfits mostly consist of more basic items because a statement jacket or coat on top can really style up your looks.

This means that when it’s not raining, make the effort to leave your black puffer jacket at home and opt for a more autumn appropriate, stylish jacket that won’t make you blend in with everyone else. VOGUE’s November 2020 edition highlights the return of longline/trench coats for autumn and I completely agree: these are relatively light but keep your whole body warm and protected against the October/November breeze.

The great thing about the return of longline coats is that the ones that were released in their prime time are now filling up charity shops and car-boot sales, meaning that you can grab a great staple piece that you’ll get a lot of use of out over autumn without breaking the bank. I recently bought a gorgeous (faux) fur-lined suede coat at a car-boot sale for £5 in almost perfect condition! If second hand isn’t your thing, though, places like TKMaxx in Cabot will probably be restocking jackets and coats like this very soon, and they won’t be too expensive either.

3. Boots

Boots are the perfect choice of footwear for autumn, not only because they’re warm but also because they’re so versatile and come in so many different styles. For warmer autumn afternoon looks, knee high boots make skirts a possibility again whilst ankle or combat boots can be paired with jeans, trousers or even trackies to add a bit of variation from the rut of white air forces that we all seem to be stuck in. 

Boots add a final touch to going out outfits and really pull them together, especially at this time of year. Some ankle boots with a small heel will do so much to flatter your legs in skinny jeans, I promise.

A couple favourite looks of mine are knee high boots paired with a short skirt and loose jumper, or timberland style boots with trackies and an oversized t-shirt for a more casual, baggy outfit.

Brown leather chunky boots fall fashion
Photo by Tom Sodoge from Unsplash

Aside from the staples, there are some other amazing pieces that will add a little bit more warmth to outfits that you might already be putting together, whilst elevating them in style too.

Oversized shirts: 

Oversized mens shirts are ideal for keeping you a bit warmer when you want to wear a smaller top or bralette with your outfit but don’t want to be awkwardly balancing your jacket on your shoulders all night. Steal a couple from your boyfriend or do what I do and run to the men’s section of the charity shop and find a shirt or two that will go with a lot of the outfit combinations that you have at home. The way I like to style these is by leaving them unbuttoned and tying them at the waist so that they add to my outfits without drowning me out.

Side note: PLEASE don’t try and buy these at Urban Outfitters and fall for the ‘urban renewal’ or ‘reworked’ lines because you’ll be spending a fortune on the same shirts that you can find at a car-boot sale for literally 50p each.

Long skirts:

Great for warm afternoons, midi or mid-axi skirts are such a good way to create an effortlessly nice outfit. Paired with a crop top, knitted oversized jumper, cross body bag and the right accessories they’ll look amazing for any activity. Long skirts with a straight cut are my favourites, but a-line maxi skirts are making their way back into fashion too, and the more flowy, bohemian vibe that these give off actually pairs really well with more modern, tomboy-ish crop tops like the high neck tanks trending at the moment.

Sleeveless sweater vests:

These are very on-trend at the moment, adding a cute bit of elevation to a standard jeans and t-shirt look. For autumn, I would suggest pairing blue or black denim with a white short sleeved t-shirt and a beige or brown toned sweater vest – add a little black shoulder bag and black ankle boots and you have a stylish, cosy and practical transitional outfit for going about the day. They are really versatile too; on warmer days styling these with a skirt can look really good and they can even be worn alone as a top.

Accessories:

This is pretty standard knowledge but it has to be said: accessories are key for cold weather! Not only do they bring together every outfit, but in the colder months whilst we cover up with layers our accessories take on the responsibility of making our outfits stand out.  An outfit can be pulled together by something as simple as a belt, but at this time of year it’s more important to focus on outer accessories such as bags, hats and scarves. As I generally like to keep to neutrals for the main body of my autumn outfits, a bright coloured accessory always adds a bit of interest for me. The other week, I bought a LIME GREEN y2k shoulder bag from a charity shop on Whiteladies and it has become my favourite bag because of how much it stands out against the things that I wear. I would definitely recommend considering this as an element when buying accessories for the transitional months.

Unsplash/ Kelly Sikkema

Overall, I hope I’ve been at least a bit helpful in offering you things to consider when shopping or styling yourself with transitional fashion in mind. The important thing to remember is to keep your looks practical and warm without losing sight of style and making sure to be mindful of not drowning your body out. Looking shapeless is just a result of piling too much on, but thinking about each piece more practically will allow you to flatter your figure and maintain the aesthetic you want whilst being just as comfortable and cosy. 

Final year English & Spanish BA student at the University of Bristol. Obsessed with languages, translation and all things culture, fashion and photography.
Her Campus magazine