Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Top 10 Tips for Maintaining a Long-Distance Relationship at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Staying connected with your partner can be super difficult when you suddenly find yourself in a situation where you can’t be together in person. Trust me, I know. So, here are some tips, based on my personal experience, to help you smitten kittens maintain your long-distance relationship whilst battling through university life.

Communication is Key

This is one of the best pieces of advice – for any relationship. If you’re feeling any type of way, the thing to do is just talk to them. Doubts? Questions? Needs? Talk it out!

Study Buddies

Whether your S.O. is also at uni or not, a really good way to avoid making them feel like your work comes first is to include them in it. Talk to them about your classes, bounce essay ideas off each other, and get them to proof-read your work. You never know, maybe they’ll develop a new common interest with you.

Trust the process

This can vary in difficulty depending on your relationship. If you haven’t been together long, then maybe that trust isn’t fully there yet – but that’s okay! If something goes wrong then it goes wrong, and maybe it just wasn’t meant to be. However, if you’re long-lasting lovebirds and that trust still isn’t built, then that can be what harms your relationship most.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

This newly dropped separation will most likely hit hard at first but take the time to have some independence. Being on their case, calling, texting, or face timing constantly can sometimes do more damage than good (even though you may just miss them). Have some time for yourselves and meet in the middle when it works for both of you! That being said…

Don’t Be a Stranger!

Although you are both living your own lives, dedicating some time for each other every day/week/however often suits you, is perfect to keep the relationship growing and maintain a close bond.

Sharing is Caring

Try to keep up shared interests, even from afar. Using the wonders of the internet, you could watch something, play video games, or read together, amongst many other things. I highly recommend an occasional ‘dinner and a movie’ date night on facetime.

Reunite(d and it feels so good) <3

Visit each other! Let your partner explore your university city with you and meet your friends so that your everyday life isn’t alien to them. Being able to see things IRL makes it easier because they can visualise where you are, what you’re up to, and who you’re with – if they’re insecure about that kind of thing.

Emergency Visits

Be prepared to make emergency trips to see your partner at the drop of a hat if they aren’t coping too well. Sometimes all a person needs is to see the one they’re most comfortable and happy with <3

Keep the good vibes high

If you’re feeling down because of missing your partner, flip the script on your way of thinking. Try not to dwell on the sadness of your partner’s absence but instead look forward to the next time you’ll see them :+)

It’s all about balance, baby

Ultimately, everything is about finding that equilibrium between all the different aspects of your life. It’s tough, but you’ll get there, I’m sure.

So, there you have it. This is not an exhaustive list by any means and there’s a million different ways to keep the fire burning. You’ll figure out what works best for the both of you and once you get past this long-distance period, things will be better than ever. Good luck, young lovers!

Akira Sidana

Bristol '23

quirky pisces looking to share some words on relevant topics