This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Warning- spoilers ahead!

So we’ve all heard of ‘Cinderella’.

When an accredited megalithic corporation like Amazon decides to commission and produce a new Cinderella movie, what is at the forefront of your mind is the ever-depressing ‘Oh Gosh, Another Cinderella Movie’. With over ten blockbuster movies claiming to be centred around this overdone fairytale, this remake has been met with a lot of hesitation and skepticism. 

One does have to admire the bravery of writer and director, Kay Cannon, for taking on this classic tale. For those of you who have not seen it, this retelling centres around Ella (Camila Cabello) who lives with her stepmother (Idina Menzel) and stepsisters (Maddie Baillio and Charlotte Spencer). Ella dreams of having her own dressmaking business and with the aid of her Fabulous Godmother (Billy Porter) she falls for Prince Robert (Nicholas Galitzine) on her journey to success. 

Typically, Cinderella and feminism do not seem to go hand in hand. Yet, Cannon decided to place feminism at this movie’s backbone. In the Disney classic, it features a soft-spoken, timid woman who only finds her voice through love to a dashing Prince. Cabello, in her acting debut, embodies a new Cinderella who has a progressive outlook on her society. Cabello is seen breaking stereotypes by wanting more than a good marriage. The best evidence for this feminist take is that the movie passes the Bechdel Test. This test has three requirements where a movie has to have at least two named women in it, they have to talk to each other, and they have to be talking about something other than a man. Just over half of all movies pass this test, which is unforgivable. Cannon ensures that this is clear in her new approach to Cinderella. When Queen Tatiana discusses the commission of Cinderella’s dresses with Ella herself, Cannon proves her point of the value of equality in the movie industry.

This film is already ticking so many boxes in terms of feminism, but the true feminist of the movie is Princess Gwen, played by Tallulah Greive. Gwen is seen interrupting the King’s (Pierce Brosnan) conversations five times throughout the movie with new ideas to change the kingdom for the better. The mention of, for example, housing problems, raises awareness ushering the younger generations (who are the main audience for this movie) towards a more conscientious future. Cannon ‘rewards’ Gwen for this forward thinking as she becomes first in line for the throne at the end.

Unfortunately, this movie is not without fault. What is most striking is the absence of any real tension between Cinderella and the Stepmother. When watching the original Disney Cinderella, the borderline abuse from the ‘Wicked Stepmother’ is shocking, and when Cinderella gets her happily-ever-after, we get a strange feeling of satisfaction at the demise of the Stepmother. Yet, in Cannon’s retelling, the stepmother does really lack the ‘punch’ (metaphorical) of the original’s evilness. It is unfortunate, as when watching, the tension never really builds to a climax. 

Now for the main drawback to this whole movie- Prince Robert’s earring. One’s eye is drawn so directly to it, it distracts from everything else in the scene. The way it is just there feels as if the stylist was trying too hard to make Robert look ‘trendy’. If I were to style Prince Robert’s jewellery, I would for sure remove this needless accessory. 

Cannon proves her point of the value of equality in the movie industry

Spink, 2021

Overall, however, this movie does provide an easygoing vibe to enjoy with family and friends alike. For the type of movie that Cannon was creating (a lighthearted musical remake of Cinderella) it mainly hits the mark. Whilst there are not any brilliantly acted, sung, or danced moments, it is generally tolerable. The storyline is fast moving and the majority of characters are likeable. For younger children, the content matter and cinematography is engaging, and for those looking for more, the movie does attempt to dabble in difficult themes like arranged marriage and the patriarchy. I do find that the inclusion of well known songs does balance this out, keeping the tone of this movie feel-good and we are able to sing along to from the get go. 

Rotten Tomatoes gave this a 42% score and I have to say I agree with this assessment, it’s fun and silly but that is about it.  If you have not watched it, I recommend you do. Whether it is out of curiosity or boredom, this movie is still worth a watch. 

And as Fab G (Billy Porter) very insightfully says, “Nothing in life ever stays the same: good or bad”, he is brilliantly summing up the message of this remake of Cinderella.

🪄 Related: Why Emma Raducanu’s Win is Important for Female Tennis
🪄 Related: 5 outdoor things to do with friends in Bristol
Annabel Spink

Bristol '23

Third year Religion and Theology student who's obsessed with writing and reading. An absolute lover of stories, the colour green, and finding magic in the mundane.