This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Now all exams are over, all essays have been handed in, all lab reports have been submitted, we can give the ASS a cheery wave goodbye and indulge in some guilt free reading! The summer is the perfect time to race through anything and everything, from gripping thrillers to historical fiction to cult classics, so here are a few suggestions to get you started.

Backpack, Emily Barr

Perfect for anyone in search of reading material for those long train rides through South East Asia!Tansy is desperate to escape her disintegrating life in London and reluctantly decides that the answer lies in travelling. However, a series of murders makes her travels far more adventurous than she could ever have anticipated. A hugely entertaining read with a realistic and flawed protagonist.

The Outcast, Sadie Jones

Perfect for anyone who enjoys a dark, captivating love story. Lewis has suffered unimaginable tragedy that has had a catastrophic effect on him, eventually culminating in his imprisonment.  Upon his return home from prison to a stifling village in 1957, we begin to see cracks in the serene facades of the villagers surrounding him and distressing secrets are soon revealed. A disturbingly absorbing read.

Royal Wedding, Meg Cabot

Perfect for anyone still waiting to be informed that they are, in fact, secretly European royalty.Anyone who grew up reading “The Princess Diaries” will be delighted to know that Meg Cabot is releasing the first book in the series intended for adults! With a release date of July 2nd, it promises to be a nostalgic re-entrance into the chaotic world of Princess Mia.

One Day, David Nicholls

Perfect for anyone who has just graduated.Nicholls charts the relationship between two university friends from the night of their graduation to the present day as they navigate life’s unexpected twists and turns. Funny, unnervingly relatable and touching – have a couple of tissues at the ready!

On the Road, Jack Kerouac

Perfect for anyone looking for a “carpe diem” summer read!A heady counterculture classic about carefree road trips across the USA in the late 1940’s. Short and sweet, the engaging cast of bohemian characters and the tangible sense of youthful adventure makes for compelling reading.

The Debs of Bletchley Park, Michael Smith

Perfect for anyone who enjoyed “The Imitation Game”An interesting, easy to read history of the women who worked at Bletchley Park, Britain’s code-breaking centre during WWII. A fitting tribute to the women who worked there with a fascinating focus on their individual experiences.

The Girl on the Train, Paula Hawkins

Perfect for anyone who liked “Gone Girl”This tense psychological thriller follows Rachel as she becomes obsessed with a glamorous couple she sees on her daily commute, going as far as naming them Jess and Jason. When she finds out that “Jess” has gone missing, her ensuing investigations draw her into an intriguing web of deceit. There are ingenious twists and untrustworthy characters aplenty that keep you on your toes till the end.

Atonement, Ian McEwan

Perfect for anyone looking for a powerful tearjerker.Two childhood friends address their complicated feelings for one another in the summer of 1935. A tragic event follows that has immense repercussions, explored through the course of WWII. It is a decadent masterpiece that explores the complex nature of love, war and deceit – a must-read if you haven’t already.

Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Truman Capote

Perfect for anyone looking for a short and chic read!Our unnamed narrator moves to the Upper East Side in the late 1940’s and introduces us to the fascinating socialite Holly Golightly who lives in his brownstone building. A highly recommendable read that is grittier and differs significantly from the infamous film!

Indiscretion, Charles Dubow

Perfect for anyone who likes the idea of a glittering modern day “Great Gatsby”The Winslow’s are the picture perfect couple who spend their summers in East Hampton, however when they welcome a young woman into their home, obsession, envy and betrayal loom large. It is a powerful exploration of the fragile and complex nature of relationships.

Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo