This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The world of fashion is notorious for its extravagance and excess. However, this has damaging consequences for the environment as highlighted in Stacey Dooley’s recent documentary Fashion’s Dirty Secrets where it was claimed that fashion was the world’s biggest polluting industry. Here at Her Campus Bristol, we are giving you some top tips on how to shop sustainably which is crucial both for the environment and whilst trying to live on a student budget. 

1. Buy second-hand

Buying second-hand clothes means that you are not only getting reasonably priced clothes but by buying from charity shops it ensures that you are supporting the local community. Why not try some of the charity shops near Cabot Circus and Broadmead or the vintage shops on Park Street? 

2. Upcycling

Either embellish a piece of clothing so that you revitalise it into something more desirable (Brandy Melville offers some good quality patches and pins https://bit.ly/2Fjokuw) or completely transform an item, for example, turning some denim jeans into a skirt as this YouTube video explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99mvn9C7hss . 

3. Buying from reputable brands

Both high street and high-end retailers recognise the importance of ethically sourcing their materials due to the prominence of sustainability in the media. The H&M Conscious collection uses recycled materials to create beautiful clothes at a reasonable price. Stella McCartney has also launched her ‘World of Sustainability’ initiative which examines her brand’s attempt to reduce their impact on the environment. Moreover, Urban Outfitters’ Urban Renewal collection ensures the recycling of textiles into new stylish clothes. Even Primark is claiming to be offering a more ethical approach to its workers and manufacturing process. 

4. In store clothes banks

High street retailers are offering in store clothes banks so that you can make sure that your clothes are being ethically used to contribute to new pieces or passed onto people in developing countries, whilst usually receiving a personal benefit of a discount at that store. For example, & Other Stories offers a 10% discount for recycling both its clothing and beauty products in store. In addition, M&S have teamed up with Oxfam to create their ‘Shwopping’ initiative where you receive a £5 voucher for donating old M&S clothes. This initiative has had a big impact on Oxfam’s work; raising £16 million to help fight poverty in the world. 

5. Know what’s already in your wardrobe

Having a good understanding of your wardrobe is crucial to shopping sustainably as it avoids duplications and makes you question whether you need to purchase an item if you know you already have something similar. 

6. Looking after your clothes

Following the correct care procedures whether it be the appropriate temperature to wash your clothes at or the right storage processes can really make a difference to the longevity of your clothes so that you do not have to buy clothes as often. 

7. Depop/eBay

Either buying or selling, these online marketplaces ensure the recycling of clothes and can be great for finding some quirky, vintage pieces or the season’s latest must-have pieces at relatively low prices. 

Images: 1, 2, 3

Immy Waters

Bristol '21

Studying History of Art at Bristol University
Sarah Wilson

Bristol '19

Co-President of Her Campus Bristol