This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

It’s summer time, which means you’ll either be jetting off to a hot country or stuck in England praying for one of those sacred heat waves! Either way, it pays to be prepared makeup wise for the hotter weather.

Firstly, make time for priming; go for one that’s oil free like the Revlon Photoready Perfecting Primer–priming will help your makeup last longer in the heat, acting almost like a magnet for makeup. Nowadays you can get ones that colour correct, boost radiance and even smooth out imperfections, so whatever your skin worries there should be a primer to suit you.

Next, step away from the foundation. You don’t want a thick layer of makeup when it’s hot outside so opt for a tinted moisturiser or BB cream which are all much lighter in texture and offer coverage without being cakey. Almost every brand in Boots now offers a BB cream with Rimmel, Garnier and No7 all offering ones which cater to various needs, whether you have oily, dry or combination skin.

Bronzing in general is an important step in the summer (especially if you’re staying in the UK and need to fake that summer glow!). Opt for something without shimmer that’s brown not orange in tone like the Bourjois Delice de Poudre Bronzing Powder (the one that looks like a block of chocolate) or Benefit’s Hoola; you can use a big fluffy brush to apply this all over the face for an all over glow or apply it to the high points of your face- ridge of nose, brow bones and top of the forehead where the sun would naturally hit your face.

Summer’s a great time to embrace the natural look, but if you’re an eyeshadow girl through and through make sure you prime your eyelids as well– Urban Decay Primer Potion is a cult hit and will make sure your shadow lasts through the heat. When it comes to eyeshadow shades grab your bronzer again and swipe it over the lid, blending it into the crease to create a warm, subtle look. When it comes to mascara make sure it’s waterproof; even if you’re not hitting the pool it’ll prevent the makeup smudging and ensure longevity.

A pretty pop of colour on your cheeks or lips is a lovely way to add colour in the summer- cream blushers are a good choice since you can blend these with your fingers into your cheeks and they’ll look far more natural. Lipsticks can feel heavy in summer heat so instead go for a lip stain such as the Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Balm, these not only feel moisturising upon application, (just what you need in the sun) but leave behind a long lasting stain of colour that’ll last all day.

Finally, if you have problems with a shiny complexion invest in some blotting paper– these will absorb excess oil on the face. Tissue is fine if you’re on a budget, but nothing beats the real deal when it comes to mattifying the skin and making sure you look glowy in a good way!

Photos: 1, 2, 3

Camilla is a third year French student at Bristol. She co-founded and was editor of Her Campus Bristol last year. She has lived in Ghana, Sri Lanka, Cyprus, the US and Belgium, and having spent this summer working at Walt Disney World, Florida, she is now excited to be embarking on a year abroad working as a language assistant at HEC Paris. She loves sushi, fireworks and old films.
Her Campus magazine