Style Inspiration: Mardi Gras

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Here in the UK, last Tuesday meant just one thing: pancakes! However, around the world, Mardi Gras was celebrated in style, with festivals and carnivals taking place from Europe to South America.

In New Orleans, the crowds wear lots of purple, green and gold, and strings of beads are thrown from the floats to the crowd.

Rio is famous for its carnival scene, with lots of feathers, bold colours and sparkle.

In Venice, distinctive masks are worn along with ornate, historical costumes.

I’m not sure any of us would have given up our pancakes last Tuesday, but that doesn’t mean we can’t have the best of both worlds and embrace some Carnival style too! Bright and bold outfits are the perfect antidote to our drab British weather, and these suggestions will lend any occasion a touch of glamour. Think feathers, glitter and beads.

ASOS does a number of pretty sequined dresses – fun, elegant and eye-catching, these will look gorgeous on a night out.

This nail polish is a recent find of mine – I’m not usually one for manicures, but these Barry M glitter varnishes honestly do brighten your day! My personal favourite is the Gold Mine Glitter. (L-R Gold Mine Glitter, Rose Quartz Glitter, Amethyst Glitter)

Feathers are often relegated to the realm of accessories. Here, feathers are made the main focus, lending these gorgeous dresses an air of theatricality.  (L-R Asos, Coast, Asos)

These delicate beaded tops will look equally great paired with jeans for cocktails or on hot day with sandals. (L-R Topshop, Asos, Topshop)

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Asos, Barry M, House of Fraser, Topshop websites

Camilla is a third year French student at Bristol. She co-founded and was editor of Her Campus Bristol last year. She has lived in Ghana, Sri Lanka, Cyprus, the US and Belgium, and having spent this summer working at Walt Disney World, Florida, she is now excited to be embarking on a year abroad working as a language assistant at HEC Paris. She loves sushi, fireworks and old films.