This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This Christmas inspired pavlova sticks with the traditional festive flavours of orange and cranberry, but provides a less conventional Christmas dessert which is still as indulgent and scrumptious as Christmas pudding or mince pies. The chewy meringue, topped with whipped cream, caramelised orange slices, fresh raspberries and drizzled with dark chocolate creates a festive flavour sensation. However, adapt it to your own tastes by switching the fruit and adding different toppings – anything goes on a pavlova! The making of the meringue requires concentration and organisation, but apart from that, the following recipe is fairly simple.

Ingredients

For the meringue:

·       5 free-range eggs, whites only

·       275g sugar

·       2 tbsp orange juice

For the caramelised orange slices:

·       1 large orange, sliced

·       250ml water

·       100g granulated sugar

For the topping:

·       600ml fresh double cream, whipped

·       150g cranberries

·       150g dark chocolate

Recipe

1.    Preheat the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas mark 4.

2.    Line a large baking tray with greaseproof paper or baking parchment. Don’t grease the tray or the paper.

3.    To make the meringue, put all of the egg whites (no yolk) into a very dry, clean bowl and whisk, preferably using an electric whisk or mixer, until stiff peaks are formed.

4.    Gradually add the sugar and mix in thoroughly between each addition.

5.    Add the orange juice and carefully fold in.

6.    Scoop the stiff meringue mixture onto the lined baking tray. The shape doesn’t really matter – it could be rectangular, circular, or you could even make several small meringues.

7.    Put the meringue in the centre of the oven.

8.    Leave to cook for approximately 45 minutes, or until the meringue has developed a very light brown colour and cracks begin to form.

9.    Take the meringue out of the oven and leave to cool thoroughly on the tray before transferring to a cooling rack or your presentation plate.

10.  Meanwhile, make the caramelised oranges. To do this, put the water and sugar in a frying pan or large saucepan and bring it to the boil.

11.  Then, add the orange slices and leave to simmer for around 20 minutes, turning them over when they begin to brown and caramelise.

12.  When most of the liquid has evaporated and the orange slices are golden brown in colour and sticky, transfer them to a plate and leave to harden.

13.  Next, melt the chocolate. To do this, put small pieces into a bowl balanced over a pan of boiling water and keep a close eye on it, stirring regularly, until it has all melted. Remove from the heat.

14.  Spread the whipped cream evenly over the cooled meringue, then arrange the cranberries and caramelised orange slices on top in your chosen pattern.

15.  Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top, being as generous as you like.

16.  If you haven’t already, transfer the finished pavlova to a presentation plate.

17.  Enjoy!  

Hey! I'm Claire and I'm a first year student at Bristol studying French and German. I love reading, writing, baking and blogging and am loving Bristol life so far.
Her Campus magazine