Street Food Thursdays @ Bristol Harbourside

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Need a break from the people-soup of the ASS café? Sick of eating from your Tupperware on the floor of Beacon House? Bored of all of your regular Triangle lunch-time haunts? Why not follow our lead and try something new to spice up your lunch-break next Thursday.

Every week, between 12pm and 3pm, Broad Quay (by the Harbourside fountains, opposite Turtle Bay) will be welcoming the best of Bristol’s local food traders and serving delicious dishes from all around the world. Today, Her Campus decided to escape from the Triangle and our dissertation blues (momentarily at least) and ventured down Park Street for a change of scene and to sample some of the delicacies on offer.

From the vast array of tempting options, I ended up opting for a Persian Chicken wrap from Open Sesame and I certainly wasn’t left disappointed.  Filled with generous helpings of homemade organic hummus, ras el hanout spiced chicken, marinated olives, salad and dressed with harissa creme fraiche and drizzle, it provided the perfect lunchtime treat and kept my rumbling tummy at bay all afternoon.

Other vendors included Wood-Fired Pizza, Los Hermanos,  (whose offerings included some scrumptious-looking pulled pork and chorizo burgers) and Eatchu’s range of pork and vegan gyoza along with Indian Masala, Angus & Mitchell burgers and Buckland Venison.  

Whilst the food is admittedly a little pricier than a Boots meal deal, the Harbourside’s offerings are infinitely more delicious, and the walk down Park Street provides a perfect opportunity to stretch your legs and clear your head after a long morning cooped up in the library. The resident market DJ, Jambo, provides a summery soundtrack of feel-good tunes and the relaxed and friendly atmosphere will only improve when this ridiculously cold spell subsides and the sun makes its elusive reappearance. 

In short, I would definitely recommend ditching the ASS next Thursday and hot-footing it down to the Harbourside if you fancy a locally-sourced and totally delicious lunch-break in the sun.

Street Food Thursdays –  Every Thursday from 28th April  – 12pm until 3pm – Broad Quay

Jess is a final year English student at Bristol. Coming from Belfast, one of her favourite sources of amusement are the constant attempts (by friends and strangers alike) to master the elusive Northern Irish accent. She also loves spending time exploring Bristol with friends and sampling the city's culinary and cultural offerings.
Her Campus magazine