Review: ‘Wherever the Human Heart Beats’ at the Alma Tavern & Theatre

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

“Wherever the Human Heart Beats” is a tale of social mobility, wherein the unpredictability of life is established.

Written and directed by Emma Rogerson, the play follows Nina, Ben and Kate, three childhood friends who, when faced with the prospect of change, struggle to maintain their tight-knit friendship. There’s a natural chemistry between the three main characters, with the unwavering optimism of Kate (Alice Buchanan) balancing nicely with the cynicism of Ben (Charlie Wright) and ambitious nature of Nina (Holly Cattle). Indeed, the strength of the core cast renders supporting characters unnecessary.

The intimacy of the play is evident as you walk into the Alma Theatre. The programme is handwritten, enclosed in a personalised envelope. Blankets are draped over the seats and, at the end of the play, biscuits are offered to the audience. The warm glow of fairy lights hanging on the wall is frequently switched on and off by the cast – certainly, the orchestration of lighting by the characters suggests that this isn’t merely a performance, but a glimpse into the lives of these three people. Perhaps the most significant piece of scenery is the hand-drawn map of their town, which Kate gradually unveils in the first twenty minutes, signifying their “world”; although small, their entire lives revolve around the crappy nightclub, the fee-paying fireworks display, and, at the centre of the stage, the wall outside ALDI, where the three friends discuss anything and everything.

Consisting of entirely one act, the fast-moving plot corresponds with the constant changes that the three characters encounter: the sharp shift from the beach to Ben’s bedroom to the nightclub occurs within ten minutes, before halting at the most pivotal moments in the play. In any other case, this would be seen as rushed; however, it reflects perfectly the speed by which time passes. The seamlessness of the narrative is made more explicit by Rogerson’s lovely use of internal rhymes within the dialogue, in turn creating a sense of musicality.

At the core of the narrative is the naïve, childlike notion of “when, not if” that Nina frequently refers to. Nina, Ben and Kate are resolute in the permanency of their friendship, despite the prospect of university and marriage darkening their idealism. The dreamlike montage at the end of the play is crucial in provoking a sense of bittersweet realism, and we find ourselves empathising with the inevitability of the changing course of the characters’ lives.

Ultimately, “Wherever the Human Heart Beats” is a wonderful expression of the unexpected nature of life. With a polished script, strong performances and welcoming interior, this play is not one to miss.

5 stars out of 5.

“Wherever the Human Heart Beats” is running until 27/11/19 in the Alma Theatre. Get your tickets here.

English Literature student
Her Campus magazine