This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Our good friends at Bristol University Feminist Society recently put on a non-misogynistic club night at Basement 45, ‘Boobie Nights’ – an apt pun of the 90’s disco film. This was their third sell-out instalment of the night, encouraging the need to eradicate sexism from current music culture.  Just looking at the ‘Boobie Nights’ event page on Facebook shows exactly what the night intended to achieve: “CELEBRATING NON-MISOGYNISTIC, SEX POSITIVE MUSIC”.

(Our lovely editors enjoying the ‘breast’ night in Bristol!) 

Sexism in the music industry is rife from the recording studio right down to the dance-floor.  In the shoes of the female artist, a gender pay gap and a limited number of opportunities still remain. I’m sure we have all seen that only 9 acts of this year’s Reading/Leeds Festival feature women; an appalling figure for one of the most influential UK festivals for young people, especially teens. Moreover, music nowadays heavily objectifies women. Their appearance in lyrics is often as a point of male voyeuristic gaze or physical gratification. Even female artists themselves are often hyper-sexualised. With the likes of Katy Perry, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna still promoting their music in a way that highlights the female body as a sexualised object, feminism in the music industry remains problematic.

It is perhaps inevitable that this sexism filters down through music to the general public. The club has been notoriously linked to a Lad Culture that similarly sees women in terms of their sexuality. The culture’s penchant for alcohol and the anonymity of the club have been manipulated as excuses for sexual harassment. It seems that current music is synonymous for female sexualisation as harassment has also been excused by the dress-sense of female party-goers.

‘Boobie Nights’ aims to dispel the dichotomy between feminism and music.  The night’s acts heavily featured women DJs with FemSoc Vice President Jess Sartenaer even taking the stage under the name Sart Attack. It was great that ‘Boobie Nights’ applauded both the talents of female music artists and the lyrical female figure. Shanti Celeste, the headliner, was an obvious highlight. The female DJ started out in the industry handing out flyers for local night Just Jack. 4 years later, Shanti is heavily embedded in Bristol’s dance community. She gigs at Fabric, has a spot on NTS Radio, runs her own night Housework and co-runs label BRSTL. It is clear that Shanti is an example of female power in music; her set only further proved her techno talent.

The night was fun, boogying and a massive success. So, it only begs the question, why is there sexism in music? If nights can be just as disco-fantastic and full of laughs as every other night, what’s stopping equality reaching the dance-floor?

Photo credit: Becky Stanczyk

Becky is Editor of Fashion Features for Her Campus Bristol. Her favourite designers are Maison Margiela and Faustine Steinmetz! Her favourite articles to write are Budget Blogs and discussions that tackle prejudice in the Fashion Industry. Streetstyle and underground trends are also firm favourites of this Editor. 
Her Campus magazine