The Return of The Flare: The 70’s Comeback

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

For many people, when they think of the 1970s all they can see are mustard coloured, corduroy flared trousers, and hair feathered to within an inch of its life. These people are wrong. Sure, these somewhat questionable styles existed, but there is so much more to 1970s fashion and style. Recently, much to my glee, various high street and online stores have been featuring edits focusing on 70s fashion, tailored to suit more easily the modern day fashionista. With items ranging from luxurious suede skirts to grungy cropped contrast tees, the 70s are now widely, and fabulously, available to all.

Burberry Prorsum’s AW 2015 collection, recently featured on the catwalk of London Fashion Week, displayed High End fashions’ take on the 70s look. Featuring heavily fringed bucket bags, strong clashing prints and dramatically draped shawls, all in earthy blues, greens and reds, the show proved that the 70s style is one to watch.

(Image: Burberry Prorsum at LFW Feb 2015)

Sadly not all of us can afford to do much more then dream of the clothes featured at Fashion Week. Luckily, our trusty high street stores are on the case. One of the best trend edits focusing on 70s fashion can be found over at ASOS. Under the original heading ‘That Seventies Show’ (good one guys), the edit focuses on bohemian and disco vibes. More demure items include a simple ½ sleeved turtle neck, paired nicely with a high waisted denim skirt. For the more adventurous among us: how about a bell sleeved floral print crop, or a daring pair of bell bottoms (go for paisley or lace to channel your inner Stevie Nicks)? The highlight of this edit is most definitely the beautiful suede wrap skirt, with waist ties, which give it an especially relaxed, boho look. 

(Image: Asos)

If you’re looking for a more rock ‘n’ roll, ‘I’m with the band’ look, Topshop has some great pieces which capture the grungy elements of the 70s. Funnel neck tees paired with flared jeans and some fantastic snake-effect ankle boots. Think Joan Jett meets Dazed and Confused.

For anyone wanting to branch out from the high street stores, there are loads of less well known outlets to choose from. Of course, the classics like Ebay and ASOS Marketplace have some fantastic 70s gems hidden away, even if sometimes you do have to trawl through some less appealing pieces. For the perfect pair of 70s trousers though, take a look at Ette Clothing. Their black velvet flares are positively swoon worthy, and they also have a great selection of other vintage and handmade items.

(Title Image: Ette Clothing) 

70s music, 80s films, 90s fashion
Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.