The Reality of Hunger

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

A few weeks ago I watched Ken Loach’s film I Daniel Blake. For those of you who haven’t seen the film, it follows the journey of a man – too ill for work – who is deemed too “healthy” for benefits and met by obstacles at every turn in applying for Jobseekers Allowance. Daniel meets a young mother named Katie. For me, one of the most upsetting and thought-provoking scenes was Katie’s trip to a foodbank where she suffers a breakdown brought on by insatiable hunger.

Unfortunately for many these scenes are not fiction but reality. Figures from Oxfam suggest that over 2 million people in the UK are estimated to be malnourished and 3 million are at risk of becoming so. Just as Katie went without food to feed her two young children, 1 in 6 parents have gone without food themselves to afford to feed their families. The statistics of food poverty are frightening and rightly so. How can it be that the 7th richest country in the world allows for such hunger to exist?

The Trussell Trust recently produced a report which stated that foodbank use in the next financial year could be the highest in twelve years. This is an astonishing figure which the Trust attributes to benefits changes which account for 44% of their referrals. If this persists, hunger will continue to be a systematic part of poverty and deprivation. Change is necessary if we are to overcome this striking inequality.

One measure which alleviates the pain of hunger for some is foodbanks such as those run by the Trussell Trust. Foodbanks are a vital resource for many people and the fantastic work they do provides people with some security of knowing when their next meal will be. There are many ways which young people and students can help these organisations continue to provide their vital service. Whether its donating money, food or volunteering at a local foodbank, all contributions will help make a difference no matter how small.

The issue of hunger only becomes more profound coming up to winter and the Christmas period. Healthy, nutritious meals are vital for all ages to ensure good health over cold winters. Whilst some will be entertaining ideas of wonderful Christmas meals with loved ones, many will be happy to have regular meals at all in December.

No one should be allowed to live in debilitating hunger in 21st century Britain. Yet for millions of people this is reality. The work of Ken Loach, Trussell Trust and the numerous foodbanks should remind us that widespread hunger should not be accepted or ignored. The hunger which Katie felt in the foodbank may have been fictional, but such hunger is all too real. There is hope that contributions, no matter how small, will eventually help to make this hunger a thing of make-believe.

Her Campus magazine