Wellness

Putting calories on menus is a threat to public health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

From April 2022, the Conservative government’s plan for tackling rising levels of obesity in the UK came into action, and with it a dangerous game of mental manipulation began. One of the main measures implemented was the requirement for ‘eat-out’ restaurants to display calorie information visibly on their menus for the foods they sell. The new regulations also state that there must be a note visible to the public of the recommended calorie intake for adults (currently 2000kcal). The measures stem from the COVID-19 pandemic which saw the virus pose higher risks for overweight people.

Supposedly, this plan was intended to ‘encourage people to make the healthier choice’ when eating out, however all it seemingly does is encourage people to feel shamed into choosing lower calorie foods in public. Whilst the government’s underlying concerns for protecting people from serious diseases may be there, the language chosen uses guilt as a tactic. This can result in distressing consequences for many people and their relationships with food. Fewer calories does not necessarily equate to being healthier, and so instead the government is increasing the risk of creating unhealthy mental mindsets surrounding food for the public.

Calorie counting has been found time and again to lead to obsessive and harmful eating behavior’s. By focusing on calories, the government have thus heightened the chances of triggering eating disorders for many, especially those who have previously suffered from them. This adversely poses the risk of pushing thousands of people in the UK towards a detrimental relationship with food.

Whilst calorie counting works for some in losing weight through calorie deficit, the risks and the sheer enforcement onto people who choose to eat out, are unjustified. Instead of ‘tackling obesity’ (an already ridiculous phrase- perhaps ‘supporting healthy lifestyles’ would be more appropriate), the new measures seek to shame people for the choices they make when visiting restaurants. For so many, eating out nowadays is a luxury, especially in the current cost of living crisis, and so what should be a leisurely and enjoyable experience, has become uncomfortable. Nobody should have to feel ashamed for choosing to eat something they actually enjoy, simply because of its calorie contents. Those who already struggle with their relationship with food also shouldn’t have to unnecessarily be faced with triggers when eating outside of the house- because let’s be honest, these measures are unnecessary.

Eating disorders disproportionally affect younger generations of people and thus this will mainly impact the most vulnerable within our population. Many others conversely, simply do not care about calorie statistics and will continue (and rightly so) to choose to eat what they want. Weight loss in itself is also not a one-size fits all concept that can be applied by universal calorie counting, especially when the scheme cannot take into account different metabolisms, ages or simply the nutritional contents of the foods consumed. Thus, all this decision does is enforce unhealthy eating habits on the general public for a redundant cause.

Healthier alternatives to calorie counting that avoid consequential eating disorders include methods such as intuitive eating, in which people listen to their body and its needs. This not only sustains physical but also mental health. Encouraging and facilitating free, accessible exercise is also significantly more useful for helping the public to keep in shape. Perhaps if more focus was placed on the upkeep of outdoor spaces to encourage walking, much like during the pandemic, and free resources for exercise, such as outdoor gyms, people would feel more comfortable in exercising regularly. Not only are most gyms expensive but they can be daunting. Therefore creating campaigns and support for a more active and sustainable lifestyle seems significantly more beneficial than shaming people’s eating habits. The government needs to urgently address the new measures, and if their goals really are in the interests of public health, they must remove calorie triggers from menus and come up with a more sensitive and effective model for supporting people in healthier lifestyles.

Hey, I'm Meg! I'm a Politics and IR student at the University of Bristol, a proud feminist and Co-President of the Bristol Chapter! I'm also an avid writer, eager to step into the field of journalism.