A Personal Reflection on Practising Religion at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

30th September 2019. The first day of the new academic year at the University of Bristol. Students attending lectures, seminars, workshops. Lecture halls crammed fuller than they will be the rest of the year as students make an effort to show up for their very first lectures. 

But I wasn’t there.

Instead I was at home, celebrating a religious festival – the first day of the Jewish new year (Rosh Hashanah)

Being a religious student – of any faith – on campus can definitely come with challenges, challenges harder than having to miss a lecture (even if it is the first one). Especially when religious law clashes with student culture. I am a religious Orthodox Jew and I follow Orthodox Jewish law (halacha). I spent the weeks leading up to freshers’ week frantically searching the SU website trying to find something, anything, that would help me meet new people but wouldn’t end up at a nightclub.  Or wasn’t on a Friday night or Saturday (the Jewish Sabbath – Shabbat). I have had awkward conversations with lecturers, trying to explain why I wouldn’t be turning up to lectures or seminars because of various Jewish festivals or because of Shabbat. I sometimes struggled in a shared kitchen in student accommodation to keep Orthodox Jewish rules regarding food (kashrut)

But, despite the challenges, I have found practicing my religion on campus has enhanced my university experience in many ways. I have found a built-in community of other Jewish and other faith students who are supportive and welcoming. I have become involved in interfaith work, which is so important in a culture of dangerously rising tensions between different communities. It has given me many moments to laugh about. I have found lecturers and fellow students to be respectful, open and interested. 

In my experience, student culture has not just been drinking and clubbing – which sometimes clash with my religious values. Student culture also has many aspects which perfectly complement my religious values. There are students involved in interfaith work, promoting peace and acceptance. There are students involved in charity work and volunteering, in selflessly giving to help others. There are societies and networks that promote a sense of community and offer support to those who need it. These are all things which Orthodox Jewish law promotes and praises. And they are all strongly present on university campus. 

And so I am not (overly) worried about missing my first two days of lectures this year. Because my lecturer has been understanding. And because I am surrounded by kind people who will happily share their lecture notes with me. 

I am currently studying English Literature at the University of Bristol, England. When I am not reading or stressing about how much reading I have to do, I enjoy going to the theatre, re-watching Downton Abbey and writing poetry (like all good English Lit. students)
Her Campus magazine