Our Guide to the Perfect Sunglasses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Forget generic ray-bans. Yes, they’re a classic, but style should be about expressing yourself and wearing things which suit you. Just like clothes, people should consider different styles of sunglasses that can enhance both their outfit and their facial structure. No accomplished wardrobe is complete without a couple of pairs of sunglasses, but they can be expensive and let’s be honest, in Bristol, they’re only going to be used occasionally. This means that the investment needs to be worthwhile, so purchase a pair which can be assimilated into as many of your clothing choices as possible. Read the guide below to find out which pairs will make your face look even more beautiful…

Square Faces

–> strong pronounced square jaw and cheekbones

What to look for: Aviators help round out your sharp features, and oversized frames can also look good. Another option is rectangular glasses with soft edges, as these soft contours contrast against the sharp lines of square jawbones. Ladies only – consider butterfly frames.

Round Face

–> softer shaped face with less definition

What to look for: Go for squares and sharp rectangles; these give cubist definition to the softer jawline. Wide frames, which should be larger than the broadest part of your face, make the cheeks appear sleeker. Wayfarers look good and are a classic.

Long, Thin Faces

–> for the more oblong shape

What to look for: For girls, go for oval and oversized frames with frames that are wider than the widest part of your head, this will give your face the width it may lack naturally. Aviators are timeless and keep things casual. Unusually, visors can look good on oblong faces, particular oversized ones which look sleek and suave.

Heart Shaped Faces

–> squared, angular jaw with pointed chin

You guys are lucky as your face shape lends itself to many styles. For girls, cat-eyed frames look good and are feminine. Wayfarers and rectangular frames look good on both the sexes while men could even get away with wrap-around frames for an athletic look. Just keep the frames tidy, neat and on the small side.

Oval Shaped Faces

–> soft jawline and softer cheekbones

Wayfarers always look good on an ovular face; go for a large frame, as this will create the illusion that the cheekbones are more defined. A word of warning: make sure that the sunglasses’ arms don’t rest too low on the face– this will elongate the face, not a necessary factor for an oval face shape.

My Top 5 Choices

1) Unisex – Shwood Haystack. £155. www.shwoodshop.com

Made out of walnut, these shades have a thick frame and strong silhouette which contrast with the organic, natural materials.

2) Unisex – Carrera Champion £70-90 (depends on colour) www.carerraworld.com

Inspired by its racing heritage, this brand’s glasses come in a variety of materials and colours. A hybrid between an aviator and a visor, these shades combine two styles to create an innovative, unique shape.

3) Female – Tom Ford Ladies FT0291 Black Flynn £250 www.houseoffraser.co.uk

Tom Ford has cult status among the sunglasses designers – and rightly so. His shades may be pricey, but the quality of the materials combines with his eye for a timeless, classic design. A true investment.

4) Unisex – Ray-ban Folding Wayfarer Acetate Sunglasses £125 www.mrporter.com

Tortoise shell brings a sense of nostalgia to these trendy wayfarers. Don’t be afraid to wear these sunglasses with smart outfit– the materials used and traditional design add a touch of sartorial elegance. These smart folding sunglasses remove the burden of carrying around clunky shades, as testified by my good friend Ally, who whipped out her sleek pair on a pedalo in the middle of Hyde Park.

5) Female – Asos Bridge Detail Cat Eye Sunglasses with Metal Arms £12.00 www.asos.com

A great budget option, these lightweight frames have a discreet cat eye shape which marries the curve of the lenses with the angular arms perfectly. The dark colouring ensures the pair will go with any outfit. A great example of a company recreating branded styles well. 

Photo Credits: hairdirect.com, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hello, my name is Caspar and currently I am student at the University of Bristol. I study Social Policy and also have a modelling contract with Gingersnap Models. I enjoy many things including sport, fashion, art and culture. I grew up in Hale, Cheshire but now consider myself a bonafide Londoner.