This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Whilst the UK spent Sunday evening battling Storm Ciara, stars across the pond attended the year’s biggest and most stylish celebration of the film industry: the Oscars.

Instead of using a best-dressed vs worst-dressed format, which, let’s be honest, is a pretty demeaning way to pit women against each other, we’ve picked our favourite looks of the evening. In no particular order…

Janelle Monáe 

Janelle Monae looked fabulous in her futuristic Red Riding Hood outfit. According to Ralph Lauren’s Instagram page, the gown required more than 600 hours of hand-embroidery to adorn 168,000 crystals over the tulle. The dedication was clearly worth it as Janelle created a strong presence on the red carpet.

Natalie Portman

Natalie Portman made waves in a couture Dior dress and cape, embroidered with the names of female directors snubbed by the Oscars. Featuring Greta Gerwig (Little Women), Lorene Scafaria (Hustlers), Mati Diop (Atlantics), Marielle Heller (A Beautiful Day in the Neighbourhood), Melina Matsoukas (Queen & Slim), Alma Har’el (Honey Boy), Céline Sciamma (Portrait of a Lady on Fire) and Lulu Wang (The Farewell), Portman made a powerful statement about the continued misogyny that women face in the film industry.

Renée Zellweger

Renée Zellweger looked absolutely beautiful in her immaculate Giorgio Armani dress. Usually, as women approach middle age, they are classified as ‘frumpy’ by the media. However, Renée dispelled this myth. The clean and fitted silhouette suited her perfectly and with sophisticated simplicity, Renée made an important statement; that you can look fabulous at fifty.

Scarlett Johansson

Scarlett Johansson stunned in her metallic Oscar de la Renta dress. The interplay between the mesh and silver thread across the bust of the dress added to the striking corset shape – that and the $2.5 million jewellery that she accessorised with by Forevermark.

Brie Larson

Brie Larson made headlines for her dazzling appearance at the Oscars this year. Her slinky champagne pink caped gown was composed of thousands of silver glittering lines which was incredibly flattering and stylish.

Gam Wichayanee

Gam Wichayanee, the Thai Elsa, embodied a classic Disney princess in an ombre, chiffon Poem Couture gown.  It is an elegant, timeless, yet contemporary interpretation of old Hollywood glamour; it’s no surprise that everyone’s falling in love with her.

Kaitlyn Dever

Booksmart star, Kaitlyn Dever looked stunningly gorgeous in a custom Louis Vuitton number, that was also an important statement about the relationship between fashion and climate change! The hand-beaded gown was “crafted in accordance with @SuzyAmisCameron‘s @RedCarpetGreenDress sustainability standards”, proving that you can be both stylish and eco-responsible.  

Mahershala Ali

Two-time Oscar winner, Mahershala Ali wore a dashing, all black, wrap-suit by Ermenegildo Zegna XXX; a suave departure from the classic tuxedo.

Spike Lee

Spike Lee paid homage to the Late Kobe Bryant with a custom, Lakers themed, Gucci look. The striking purple and gold suit was paired with Nike Kobe 9 Elites – a touching moment honouring Bryant’s legacy.

Timothée Chalamet 

Our favourite red carpet photobomber, Timothée Chalamet opted to reject the Oscars dress code in a track/boiler suit made from recycled nylon. The Little Women star has become known as one of the best-dressed celebrities in Hollywood and, whilst the meme-worthy Prada look has divided fans, it’s refreshing to see something new. He’s certainly pushing the boundaries of fashion.

Honourable Mentions – An Ode to the Black Tuxedo

Donned by the likes of Brad Pitt, Leonardo Dicaprio, Rami Malek, Tom Hanks, Joaquin Phoenix, Noah Baumbach and Taika Waititi (to name a few). When it comes to men’s formal wear, the black tuxedo is a classic.

Since the 19th century, it has been the go-to look for black tie events. Compared to the 70s, where disco saw the rise of the colourful tux, we favour the simplicity of the black tuxedo on modern red carpets. It oozes sophistication and the men at the Oscar’s definitively looked effortlessly debonair.

English and Philosophy student at Bristol
Immy Waters

Bristol '21

Studying History of Art at Bristol University
Her Campus magazine