This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With so many high street and online retailers offering their party season editorials, it’s difficult to know what to pick. So, whether you have a winter formal, work Christmas party or just want to look glamorous for a festive dinner with friends, here at Her Campus we have the must-haves for the Party Season. 

LBD (Little Black Dress)

As usual, the little black dress is making an appearance just in time for Christmas. My particular favourite is this Matthew Williamson for Debenhams fringed camisole black dress because it is so elegant and flattering. However, Pull & Bear are offering this purse-friendly black metallic dress, which is very similar to the Urban Outfitters ruched metallic dress. 

Velvet

Velvet immediately makes any outfit look chicer and is a popular fabric due to its warmth. This year Urban Outfitters are presenting a velvet wrap jumpsuit, but look to Nobody’s Child for a more affordable option. If you don’t want to go for full blown velvet, Oasis are selling these velvet heels in statement burgundy and ochre colours which would add a pop of colour to jazz up any ordinary outfit.  

Sequins

Mango has nailed the hard line between glamorous and not looking like an extra from Strictly with this chic sequin dress. However, if you’re not fully ready to revisit Year 7 disco vibes, ASOS are selling this sequin bodysuit in a wide variety of colours, with both tall and petite ranges, that would not only look great at Christmas but would also suit a wide variety of occasions in the New Year. 

Trouser-suit

Breaking the mould of the usual party dresses, the tailored trouser suit makes a bold impact by looking effortlessly cool whilst being practical in the colder months. River Island are offering some really chic options like this navy satin blazer and peg trousersblack velvet tux or this highly fashionable floral jacquard co-ord. Although these items are on the expensive side, they truly are an investment in your wardrobe because they are so versatile and can be toned down or dressed up with the right accessories and will also be a classic staple that you wear again and again. 

Accessories

As Michael Kors said: “I’ve always thought of accessories as the exclamation point of a woman’s outfit”, so it would be foolish of us to neglect accessories. Here are our top five to take any outfit from good to glam. 

• Faux fur jacket:New Look is offering a reasonably priced faux fur jacket this season, which is not only great for wrapping up against the cold but also has something of a cult status amongst Instagram bloggers such as India Moon. 
  • Clutch: Accessorize has a feature on a range of affordable evening bags which compliments every event from casual to formal. 
  • Chandelier earrings:favoured by both fashion-conscious royals, Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle have been sporting chandelier earrings on recent engagements. Topshop are offering some minimalist ones or look to Anthropologie for a daring alternative. 
  • Hair accessoriesAnthropologie are renowned for their lavish hair accessories. This pink hairband has inklings towards the Christmas party season with its metallic finish but could be worn all year round. 
  • Scarf: this wool scarf from &Other Stories doubles up from a scarf during the day to a shawl in the evening. Whilst being on the pricey side, it is really good quality and comes in a range of colours. 

Images: 1, 2

Immy Waters

Bristol '21

Studying History of Art at Bristol University
Sarah Wilson

Bristol '19

Co-President of Her Campus Bristol