Meet Stephen Le Fanu: SU Student Living Officer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As the dust finally begins to settle after Fresher’s week, Biology grad and current Student Living Officer Stephen Le Fanu gives us his 10 tops tips for new Bristolians on how to get off to the best start at University, and what to do if it’s not going as well as you’d hoped. 1) If you get serious fomo (fear of missing out) like I used to, do take a step back sometimes and work out what it is that you want to do. Missing one party in first year won’t make the least bit of difference down the line, and you’ll probably find people aren’t partying as hard as they might appear.

2) Remember that there is a huge variety of different people at university, so don’t worry if your new housemates seem to have different interests to you. Also societies, clubs or networks are good places to meet people with similar interests and you may make some strong friendships. It’s also never too late to go back to a society if you missed out initially

3) Keeping on top of university work will help you feel more prepared and should avoid sudden deadlines. It will also make you start second year with a lot more confidence in your studies.

4) Decorate your room and make it feel homely. This should make it more relaxing and a good place to escape from the business of uni or halls. I also liked to keep my room just for relaxing and sleeping, but this is different for everyone.

5) Expect some ups and downs. There will be times at the beginning that you will have difficulties and feel like things are not going your way, but these can be expected from such a big change as moving into university. Remember that these will probably be different for different individuals and different courses at university.

6) There are some good ways to easily make contact with your new house or hall mates. Remember that they are probably as nervous as you, so it’s a great thing to take the first step. Leaving your door open seems inviting, or cooking some extra dinner to offer round are good ways to start up a conversation.

7) Take time to reflect. Moving into university may be one of the biggest moves in your life and it is worth taking some time out to reflect on your journey and how you feel.

8) Exercise and fresh air are two ways to naturally release endorphins and make yourself feel good – it’s worth donning that scarf and hat, even in the winter. I would recommend Brandon Hill, Ashton Court (lots of deer!) or Saint Wernberg’s city farm.

9) Breathe deep. Apparently, engaging your lower abdomen helps improve help and calmness

10) If you are having difficulties, and find yourself not settling in, it is important to talk to somebody. It doesn’t matter who this is and should be someone you feel comfortable with and could be a friend, family or staff member. For any issues you might have, contact the Students’ Union Just Ask Service (bristolsu-justask@bristol.ac.uk) who will be able to help out or signpost other services. If you are having issues with your academic studies, your personal tutor or course admin should be able to help, and it’s always best to let them know of issues early on.

Finally, the university’s student health service and counseling service offer professional help. The counseling service offers group sessions, workshops and 1:1 support and the website has a whole range or signposted services.

Ilka Kemp - Hall is Features Editor of HC Bristol. Currently studying English Literature at the University of Bristol.