Meet the Organiser of Bristol Acts (Against Slavery)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The Anson Rooms will play host to an important charity event this weekend. Bristol Acts (Against Slavery) is hoping to both raise money and promote awareness for the Bristol based charity “Unseen“, who work to eliminate human trafficking and to provide support to victims. The event will feature an eclectic mix of Bristol based talent all performing to support the charity. Her Campus met with Sophie Lomer, the organiser of Bristol Acts Against Slavery, to find out more.

Can you tell us a bit about what the event is?

It’s basically a variety show, with cabaret style seating. We’ve got a jazz band, a soul singer, spoken word, acapella, all sorts of different acts, which is all in aid of a charity called “Unseen.” It is Bristol based charity that work to abolish human day trafficking. This could be sex slavery or slavery within industries. This is problem that is happening in Bristol, people are being trafficked to and from Bristol, and various other places around the world, but its important to know that it is happening here. It’s not just a distant thing that’s happening in third world countries; it is happening here.

What does “Unseen” do?

The charity “Unseen” basically save people. They work with the police and they rescue people who have been trafficked and they have safe houses that are set up for them. They have some in Bristol, Birmingham, London, and other places but they were originally set up in Bristol. They go through the counselling and rehabilitating process with the women, men and children. They are setting up a men and children’s house in Bristol at the moment. They predominantly work with women but they are hoping to expand that, because men get trafficked too. “Unseen” will be doing a short talk halfway through the event. They will tell people about the problems and potential solutions and how people can get involved if they want to.

Why do we need to promote awareness for this?

Because we have the Slavery Act, I think people assume that slavery is a thing of the past or it is something that happens in third-world countries. You don’t associate it with something that happens in Britain. In the UK alone it is estimated that there are about 13,000 people that are trafficked. At the talk they are going to talk about indications of slavery. There are certain things signs that someone is being trafficked, and there are certain places that people are more likely to be working as slaves. The event we are putting on is predominantly to make people aware of what is going on, but also to raise some money.

Bristol Acts (Against Slavery) takes place in the Anson Rooms on the 20th February. Tickets are £5 for students and £8 for non-students, and are still available here. All the proceeds will go to “Unseen”. 

(Photo credit: heyevent.uk)

Alex is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is passionate about creating an online magazine which is both funny and accessible but also political and controversial. Alex wants to encourage all writers to write the unwritten and not be afraid to voice all their opinions. She is a keen feminist and enjoys having Her Campus as a space for young women in Bristol to express their freedom on and off campus. xoxo