This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

A recent report stating that taking the contraceptive pill increases the risk of having depression was met with shock and confusion by me and many of my female friends. 

“I’ve been taking the pill for 5 years and had no idea,” one of my friends said.

“The doctor didn’t talk me through any of the mental side effects of my pill, or even properly go through other contraceptive options with me,” another confessed.

I realised that I was mindlessly taking a drug that I had not researched; I had no idea which dosage I was on or what my pill contained. I blindly trusted my doctor and continued to take my pill every day. Thankfully, I have not had depression or any serious side effects from the pill, but I know plenty of women that suffer from symptoms such as nausea, mood swings and worse when taking it. According to the aforementioned study, women on the combined pill are 23% more likely to be prescribed an antidepressant by their doctor. 

This also got me thinking about the lengths women have to go through to practise safe sex. I am extremely grateful that in the UK contraception is easily obtained and for the most part free, something which is still a far-off dream women in many countries. However, it puts an extra burden on the shoulders of women when it comes to sex. Aside from condoms, which remain the only way to prevent the contraction of STIs, avoiding pregnancy is entirely down to the female. She must go to the clinic and have the procedure to get the implant/coil inserted, or obtain the pill and remember to take it every single day. It takes two to tango and two people to impregnate someone – shouldn’t it be two people’s responsibility to avoid pregnancy?

(Photo Credit: Public Health Network Cymru)

There are male contraceptives currently being trialled. Vasalgel is a non-hormonal contraceptive that is injected into the man’s sperm-carrying tubes, accessible through the scrotum. It is expected to be reversible through a second injection. 

This will hopefully become a fully-fledged reality in a few years and be available to men across the country. But will people actually want it?

Speaking to friends and peers about the concept of Vasalgel, some were sceptical. A couple of women that I asked said that they “wouldn’t trust” a male sexual partner if he claimed to have been treated with Vasalgel:

“Guys could use it as an excuse not to use condoms.” One woman told me.

“But girls could easily lie about being on the pill?” I replied.

“Yeah but no one does, because we’re the ones that have to deal with the consequences. Meaning a baby!”

I suppose it comes down to the fact that pregnancy affects the female body alone, therefore a lot of women would want to make it their own responsibility to take the pill. I understand this point of view, but if you are in a trusting and exclusive sexual relationship, I see no problem with relinquishing responsibility to your male partner, especially if you suffer from serious negative side effects from the pill.

A few women I asked also said that if they were in a serious relationship it would be great to have the male contraceptive as a back-up, but they wouldn’t stop taking their pill:

“If you’re both protected, it makes it fair. I would like to share the responsibility with my boyfriend, but I wouldn’t want to stop taking my own pill.”

In my opinion, anything that increases the options available for men and women when it comes to sexual health can only be a good thing. Only time will tell whether the male pill will become a viable success.

(Photo Credit: www.guardian.co.uk)

(Names of those interviewed have been excluded for privacy reasons).

Want to share your views on the male pill? Email Abbie, our Lifestyle Editor: as14714@my.bristol.ac.uk

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine