absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Learn To Eat, Not Diet: Week 6

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Should I take supplements?

Many people take vitamin tablets, in the hope that something as easy as popping a pill will solve any nutritional deficiencies. In a way, taking supplements is widely considered as part of a healthy lifestyle. People with a pretty healthy diet and good exercise regime are the ones who take the most supplements –and ironically, these people really don’t need them! The truth is that supplements could be useful, but there is not enough evidence to show that they can prevent disease and death, in fact in three separate studies it was shown that supplements failed to have any positive (or negative effect) on dementia, heart disease or death.

Supplements have a place in our lives, but it is far more complicated that the notion of a quick nutritional top-up; nutrients interact with each other and there are many dangers and downsides of the overconsumption of certain nutrients. My personal rule is food first and then supplements if necessary. An example is the compound zinc: if there is too little in the diet one could expect hair thinning and poor bowel function – so you could either take a supplement, or you could improve your diet. Zinc is found in oats, lean poultry, dark leafy greens, mushrooms and seeds. Eating well is better (and cheaper).

So what should you take? I would recommend taking omega 3 capsules from marine sources daily. These help protect from cardiovascular problems, insulin spikes and internal inflammation. A probiotic can also be useful as it helps digestion and vitamin and mineral absorption from food. I also recommend taking a supergreens blend, which you drink – these are full of antioxidants and minerals which can help you feel better but also help renew skin cells, making you look your best too. 

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Hello, my name is Caspar and currently I am student at the University of Bristol. I study Social Policy and also have a modelling contract with Gingersnap Models. I enjoy many things including sport, fashion, art and culture. I grew up in Hale, Cheshire but now consider myself a bonafide Londoner.
Rashina

Bristol

Rashina Gajjar is a student, writer, and editor-in-chief of Globe Of Love, a website she founded in 2014. She speaks three and a half languages (English, French, Spanish, and a dash of Italian) and is extremely fond of travelling and learning new things. In her spare time, she enjoys running, socialising, inventing semi-healthy desserts, and writing about self-imrovement and empowerment. If you would like to connect with her, she can be reached at the following addresses: Linkedin: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/rashinagajjarInstagram: https://instagram.com/rashinagajjar/Her website: www.globeoflove.com