Lakota: a brief history of one of Bristol’s most infamous clubs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

One of Bristol’s most infamous clubs, Lakota has been an important landmark for the city’s nightlife and rave scene. With the permanent closing of its doors looming (although no date has actually been set for its closure) this article takes a look back at the club’s history and how it became the legendary social scene it is today.

The word Lakota is derived from Sioux Indian, meaning ‘people of the earth’ and the club itself is essentially a warehouse with 4 rooms spread over 3 levels. 

Lakota was set up in 1992 and in the 90s was considered ‘one of the most famous clubs in the country outside London’. Due to its popularity, the owners were able to expand the name into a record company, merch shop and even a DJ agency. It was a thriving centre point for 90s club culture specialising in house music and hosted DJs as big as LTJ Bukem. The house era was most prevalent from 1991 until around 1995 and Lakota boasted DJs from all around the world, becoming a representation of the national house scene. Due to its huge popularity, it was even suggested that the Severn Bridge was built for the purpose of allowing people from Wales to come over to Lakota! 

With the arrival of the 2000s Lakota still maintained its house roots but began to incorporate more genres such as garage and reggae. In 2006 the owners began working with more young and upcoming DJs and promoters to cater to the newer generations, which saw the rise of drum and bass, trance and techno music- which Lakota is now infamous for. Some of you may be familiar with the ‘Tribe of Frogs’ psytrance nights which have actually been running since 2004. 

Lakota’s owner, Marti Burgess, talks fondly of how Lakota was a way of ensuring music continued into the next generation. She describes their ‘Rumble in the Jungle’ nights as being particularly important to older Jamaican DJs as it enabled them to see their jungle music being enjoyed by the youth. 

There were plans to demolish the club in 2007, sparking a national campaign to save it. People from all around the UK joined forces and successfully put an end to the demolish plans which just highlights the sense of community Lakota has helped build. 

I’m a second year student studying Anthropology at Bristol, I particularly enjoy photography, writing and travelling- when I’m able to again :(