Instagram Account “The Naked Diaries” Promotes A Message of Self-Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As a twenty year old female, I have experienced the “Battle of the Body Image” for as long as I can remember. Even now, I have to work really hard to remind myself that I am good enough, with all my bodily imperfections; that I shouldn’t compare myself to unrealistic ideas of female beauty.

In light of this, during one of my Instagram sessions (what essay?), I recently stumbled across an account called “The Naked Diaries.” “The Naked Diaries” was started by Taylor Giavasis, with the purpose of celebrating human empowerment, self-love and body positivity. What really struck me is that this account is open to everyone, male and female, young and old and reaches people all over the world. It is not just one group of people talking about their journey, but a global project that is changing people’s perceptions which each follow and photo.

(Photo credit: bellethreesixfive.com)

People, mainly women but some men too, send in photographs, drawings and quotes about their feelings towards their body and offer encouragement to those who also struggle to love themselves. The issues cover everything from weight and skin problems, to self-harm and birth defects. What is so beautiful about each post is that they reveal the journey of pain, fear and love that one must take on the road to self-acceptance, doing so in a way that is real and authentic.

It is a real breath of fresh air in the vast world of Instagram which is bursting with beautiful models, who in reality spend hours trying to obtain the perfect picture (and more editing it afterwards). It is a gentle and loving reminder that the real world is in front of you, the body you see in the mirror, the people around you with whom you share your life with. The people in the pictures with their toned bodies and flawless skin are artificial; they are false, unattainable creations that can only be made through photo editing software. “The Naked Diaries” shows you photos of real bodies and can be comforting when it discusses something you also struggle with.

(Photo credit: www.personal.psu.edu)

Giavasis explains how “Real beauty is what makes you unique. It’s curves, stretch marks, moles, laugh lines, skinny and thick legs. I want to depict the beauty of uniqueness, and hopefully teach people they should celebrate what they think their flaws are.” 

“During a time that people will do anything for a ‘like’ or retweet, I hope to infuse a dose of reality and hope to show the girls that we should love ourselves just as we are, and not based on what other people think is acceptable,” Giavasis explains. “I hope to make people be secure with all aspects of themselves.” 

The objectification of the human body is still a major issue in today’s society. Unrealistic perceptions of what perfection is continues to cause a range of mental health problems. For some, it simply means they will walk out of their front door focusing on how insecure they feel, rather than embracing the beginning of the day. This is why I am so passionately excited by this Instagram account, because it has shown me that social media can be a good thing. It has turned a platform that millions of people can access into a place of acceptance, love and positivity, and I think this is the most beautiful thing that has come out of social media yet.

So whether you completely love yourself or are in desperate need of some community love, go and check out “The Naked Diaries” and prepare yourself to see the true wonders and complexities of the human body and mind and to feel truly connected to the lives of others. 

(Photo credit: en.wikipedia.org)

And remember, you deserve the kind of love that you would give to someone else.

Holly began as the features editor for Her Campus Bristol and then progressed on to managing director/campus correspondent in 2016. A third year English student, she has a passion for reading, nature and writing.
Her Campus magazine