I’m a Disgraced Politician Get Me out of here! Matt Hancock’s transition from politics to reality TV

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Disgusting, repugnant and unnatural: words that could be describing either the creepy crawlies on this year’s I’m A Celebrity Get Me out of Here or the man having to eat them- former Health Secretary, West Suffolk MP Matt Hancock.

Perhaps to humanise himself, the infamous MP has entered the jungle. Now the nation can watch the disgraced former Health Secretary attempt to shed of his image as a liar and an elitist politician, into a liar and an elitist politician eating kangaroo genitals. Perhaps the public are being too cruel to Hancock. Since the announcement of him joining the jungle was made, there has been an uproar from the British public. Whilst many were excited to see the politician suffer, others were appalled at this attempt to regain favour in the public’s eyes. Especially when Hancock is receiving £400, 000 for his time on the reality TV show, whilst also receiving his MP salary despite having his power temporarily revoked.

Hancock was the UK Health Secretary between 2018 and 2021 for the Conservative party. He was the Health Secretary during the COVID 19 pandemic, until he was made to resign when CCTV footage of him having an affair and breaking his own COVID guidelines was released. At the time of the scandal, strict regulations were still being imposed and consequently many people were dying without their loved ones close. The salt in the wound of Hancock’s complete disregard for his own rules, was that the lady whom he had an extramarital affair with was Gina Coladangelo. The previous year Hancock hired Goladangelo as an unpaid adviser and then promoted her to a paid non-executive director role, despite never declaring doing so, and permitted £15,000 to £20,000 of public funds to go towards her annual pay.

As the nature of I’m a Celeb goes, the other contestants are unaware of each other until arrival into the jungle. This was evident in Sean Walsh’s burst of laughter, as he watched Matt Hancock walk towards him for the first time. Was he laughing at the mere stupidity of the situation or the clearly crafted pairing by ITV of two men known for cheating scandals in their career? Either way, it was clear from Hancock’s arrival, that this year’s series was going to be interesting.

During his time in the jungle, Hancock has been faced with questions from campmates that reflect the wider nations interests. When, asked why he broke Covid guidelines, Hancock responded, ‘Because it was a mistake, because I fell in love with somebody.’ A fickle excuse when the wider nation was forced to watch their loved ones die because of the government’s actions. Moreover, when Hancock was asked about the nations PPE shortages and the movement of infected elderly people in care homes, increasing the spread and death rates, he said, ‘So PPE for instance, I know of course I saw what happened to it, but that’s because we suddenly needed masses more PPE and so did everyone else in the world.’ ‘And care homes… There were reasons for the decisions that were taken and ultimately those problems were caused by the virus, not by the people trying to solve the problem.’

For someone who entered the jungle to answer questions and to show his humanity, Hancock seems reluctant to give any in depth answers to his campmates and the viewers. To Hancock’s excuses ITV presenter Charlene White, a fellow campmate, said, ‘’My aunt died from Covid in the first wave. So, we couldn’t go to the hospital to go and visit her. I had to sit by myself in the church at her funeral. We couldn’t hug each other because we were following guidance. And I get that you fell in love, I understand all of those things, but sorry for a lot of families like mine doesn’t really cut it.’

Since being on the show, as of the 14th of November, Hancock has had to eat camel’s penis, cow anus and a sheep’s vagina. He was also stung by a venomous scorpion. It seems the public are not convinced by Hancock’s explanations either and therefore he is finding himself frequently facing a bushtucker trial. Ant and Dec recently went on TikTok to urge people to vote for others, as the other campmates are barely getting any airtime.

The move by ITV to cast Matt Hancock is a dishonour to the lives lost in the COVID pandemic. Although, not directly, actions such as Hancock’s have prompted multiple deaths, long term illnesses and is generally disrespectful to the thousands of people in Britain who have died of the disease. As, Hancock asks for ‘a little bit of forgiveness,’ we must wonder how earning thousands from a TV show whilst you neglect your job as an MP, promotes any ideas of forgiveness?

she/her I'm Charlotte, though most people call me Charli. I am currently studying English BA.