This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

After a wonderful Freshers fair, the Bristol University Intersectional Feminist Society (iFemSoc) is so excited to be back for the next academic year. We have got talks, discussions and mingles coming up in the next couple of months, and we would love as many of you to come along to our socials as possible! We welcome everyone, whether you are a widely-read feminist, or just dabbling in the concept – if this is the case, the book ‘We Should All Be Feminists’ by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is a concise, interesting and generally great introduction.

As feminists, we believe that everyone has the right to equality, the right to choose, and the right to feel empowered, comfortable and safe regardless of their sexual orientation or gender identity. It is our duty, therefore, to ensure that all genders are on equal standing in society, and we actively maintain that our meetings are welcoming and respectful environments for everybody.

We have got a variety of interesting, empowering and thought-provoking events coming up!

• For Black History Month on October 23rd we have got Swipe White:us, Dating as a Woman of Colour, led by Shamar Gunning, our BME Representative. The talk will explore the experiences of black women on the dating scene, the fetishization of black women in the media, and what it is like dating someone of another race. This will be a brilliantly empowering event. (Location tbc)
  • On the 25th November, we are collaborating with FemX. This talk will be led by sex workers from the English Collective of Prostitutes where they will discuss their experiences living under British law which essentially vilifies and denies them from safety and respect. It will be a fantastic talk, and we encourage everyone to come. The location is, again, to be confirmed and tickets will be available to buy from the Student Union website.
  • We also have got a new discussion series coming up where we will be holding biweekly informal chats in a café on topics that we feel are important to us as feminists. We will start with an ‘Introduction to Feminism’ on the 6th November, then on the 20th November the theme will be ‘Sexual Liberation’, the 4th December the theme will be ‘Masculinity’, and on the 18th December we will be discussing ‘Mental Health’.
  • Finally, we have our two mingles coming up! The first one will be in the Balloon Bar on the 9th October at 3pm, and our second will be at The White Rabbit pub on the 15th October at 6pm, where you will be able to chat all things feminism over pizza and beer.

Because we are regarded as a charity, the iFemSoc membership is so important to keep us running as a society. It is £4 for the year, or £10 for three years. We also do discounts for those that may be struggling financially, so please get in touch if this is the case and we will sort something out for you. The membership allows discounted entry to events that we hold, and is a pivotal part of keeping our society funded, so please do buy a membership if you are interested!

If you are interested in any of these events, please type Bristol University Intersectional Feminist Society on Facebook for more information. Additionally, please follow us on Instagram at bristolfemsoc for book recommendations, fun feminist photos and future events and mingles. Also, massive thank you to Her Campus for including us in their issue!

Lots of feminist love x

Anna Vause

Bristol '21

I am a student at Bristol studying History
Co-President of Her Campus Bristol