How To Make a Meal Out of a Random TooGoodToGo Bag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The innovative app TooGoodtogo has been limiting food wastage while protecting student budgets for six years. And, whilst there are multiple venues signed up to the app which offer the convenience of a readily prepared meal or pre-packaged goods, conventional Magic Bags from a range of grocery stores tend to be composed of fairly random items. You may find that your bag contains solely fruit and veg, as is often the case, but this means anything but boring. To best illustrate my point, I picked up two bags from very different stores; a greengrocers in Clifton, and a Shell garage near Bedminster.  The app offered no specification, or even suggestions, for what the items in my bag could be used for in either case, but I figured if I could make two separate meals from leftover vegetables and excess stock at a petrol station then I could prove that, with a little creativity and some standard cupboard staples, you can make a satisfying meal out of any random selection of surplus food. 

Bag 1- Londis, York road: £3.39

Dish: Cheese & bacon smashed potatoes

To be honest, I was fairly sceptical of what would be in a bag from a very small 24hr garage; the fresh section is exceptionally limited, given that the nature of these stores is convenience. But, I was actually pleasantly surprised. While the items were fairly arbitrary, there was undoubtedly potential for a decent meal, with the bag containing a 2kg sack of potatoes, 4 packs of smoked bacon, 2 bunches of bananas and a carton of eggs. 

The bananas, although useful, were obviously not going to compliment eggs and bacon, so I decided on the savoury route. Of course, there is the obvious option of bacon and eggs, and a subsidiary potato side dish, but the versatility that potatoes offer, and taking into account my boyfriend’s wise mantra that carbs are a “vessel for flavour”, the centre of the meal had to be the potato. But I’m sure most of you have had your fair share of jacket potatoes and chips, so I instead opted for smashed potatoes. Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, with the interior exposed just enough to withhold toppings but maintain structure, smashed potatoes offer the perfect base for any meal. 

I picked up a bag of mozzarella on my way home, again, the versatility of this cheese makes it a fridge staple for non-vegans, with a plan in mind: cheesy smashed potatoes with bacon lardons and a runny egg yolk. Rich, indulgent, and also offering all three key macronutrients, this brunch inspired dish is so simple and only requires a little bit of manipulation to bring the ingredients together.

Start by boiling the potatoes in salted water, I found that one or two is enough to leave you feeling full, but you can cook them in bulk & share. When they are tender enough to prick with a fork, lay on a baking tray and gently push down with a masher. If you have garlic at home, sprinkle a little diced garlic and season with salt, pepper, and mixed herbs and drizzle with oil. For extra crunchy potatoes without using goose fat, try spraying the outside with a cooking oil spray. Grill on a high heat for approximately fifteen minutes, or until they look crispy, then top with fried, diced bacon and mozzarella, and return to the oven until the cheese melts.

Since my bag included eggs, I thought a poached egg with a runny yolk was a nice way to add a little more richness, moisture, and protein to the dish. But you can switch it up with whatever you have in your fridge and do whatever works for you. Potatoes in a magic bag, or any white carb, will always be a godsend, as they are the perfect base for any balanced meal, and you can then work with whatever other ingredients in the bag, coupled with those already at home. Pairing your starch with a protein source is always a good foundation, and you can then think about complementary flavours, and a range of textures to bring together a whole dish.

BAG 2- CLIFTON FRUIT & VEG: £4.00

Dish: Roasted pepper & tomato soup

Of course, TooGoodToGo offers plenty of vegan options, but I wanted the challenge of creating a meal from scratch, and so picked up a bag consisting solely of fruit and vegetables. Unlike in my Londis bag, there were no complex carbs here- instead, a range of seasonal veg. In this case, the simplest option is soup; one of the quickest and easiest ways to enjoy a warming, fulfilling lunch or dinner, you can make a soup with virtually any combination of vegetables given to you. To switch up flavours without having to buy extra ingredients, try different cooking techniques; I found that roasting my peppers and tomatoes brought an extra level of sweetness to the soup, and caramelising your onion(s) will deepen this richness even more. For texture variety, I sliced and coated my courgette with flour before deep-frying, to create crunchy courgette ‘fries’, perfect for dipping. Decide which flavours you think will complement each other best in a soup- I opted for tomato, pepper and chilli- fry any bulb vegetables, add a generous amount of vegetable stock, season with your favourite spices- I used basil and thyme- and blend together. From start to finish in less than 15 minutes.

Nevertheless, soup is not the only option when you are dealing with a greengrocer’s magic bag, and there are plenty of other flavoursome, diverse, hearty dishes that you can make, from salads to cauliflower steaks. Given their slightly softer texture, peppers that are nearing the end of their shelf life could also work great as stuffed peppers, and you can use whichever pulses or grains you have in your cupboard to load them up. For extra sustenance, serve your meal with a source of starch, such as crusty bread or rice, and you’re good to go.

If you’re still struggling, or know which ingredients you want to use but aren’t quite sure how to pull them together into a dish, check out BBC Good Food’s ‘Ingredients’ recipe page. This handy webpage allows you to browse recipes by a central ingredient, from beef mince to broccoli, so you’re guaranteed to find a use for everything in your bag. There are limitless ways to transform your Too Good to Go bag, so don’t be afraid to experiment with different techniques, dishes and cuisines. You’re already doing a great thing by helping to limit food waste, so it’s up to you how to best use what you’re given and make something you’ll enjoy. Happy cooking!

Nicole Quy

Bristol '23

Wellness Editor at Her Campus Bristol & regular contributor. English BA student, here to share good food, good advice and good vibes x