Bridgerton cast posing for Netflix poster
Netflix
Style

How has Bridgerton influenced our style?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Like many people this year, my Christmas was filled with the dazzlingly scandalous world of Netflix’s new series Bridgerton. The show’s immense popularity has not only given us all the desire to attend a debutant ball, but the beautiful costume designs have begun to inspire several new trends. In a time of Lockdown 3.0, where joggers and hoodies have been the daily attire for almost a year, Bridgerton has been the sign we needed to add a bit of interest to our wardrobe.

Probably the most popular item from the show, corsets, are fast becoming one of the most sought pieces of clothing. Unlike their traditional use of being hidden under clothes they are now designed to be worn on their own. Popular clothing websites such as Pretty Little Thing and Urban Outfitters now have a large collection of regency inspired corsets, giving off the same elegance and grace of Daphne and her siblings. The simplicity of a corset’s outline combined with its intricate detailing makes it the perfect piece to complete a stylish classy outfit. 

scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

Searches for empire line dresses have increased by 93% since the show’s release. Their flattering fitted bodices and gathering skirts allow us to relive our childhood princess fantasies and are also the perfect style for upcoming spring. This sage green dress from Nasty Gal is the perfect combination of elegance and freedom-  one that you can easily imagine running down the manor greens after the Duke in. 

In contrast to the Bridgerton family’s colour palette of neutral cool blues and greens, the Featherington’s are a fun, fantastical array of colour and patterns. Whilst some of their outfits on the show may require sunglasses to watch, their bold vibrance has inspired several bright new designs for the spring wardrobe. Examples of this style can be found on Hollister’s site, with a gorgeous, floral blouse.

six women standing on dirt path
Photo by thiszun from Pexels

It’s not just clothes that have been influenced by Bridgerton style- hair fasteners and pearl necklaces are back in fashion. As was the norm at the time, the characters usually have very elegant hair updos meaning hair accessories were essential. This is the perfect time experiment with new hairstyles that might be out of your comfort zone. 

So why has Bridgerton had such a big impact on fashion? I think that after three national lockdowns and an absolute mess of a tier system, we’d forgotten how fun it is to dress up and make ourselves feel pretty. As a period drama, costumes are one of the main focuses so there are so many different styles we can take from the show and bring into modern fashion. Like everyone else, I can’t wait to see what new inspiration season 2 will bring us!

I’m a second year student studying Anthropology at Bristol, I particularly enjoy photography, writing and travelling- when I’m able to again :(
Her Campus magazine