This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As we move into the colder months, here is your guide on how to acquire the new trends sustainably and without breaking the bank.

Leather

Admittedly, imitation and vegan leather has been a staple in many designers’ collections for a few years now, but the AW20 shows consisted of more than ever before. With designers such as Fendi and Versace placing models in looks entirely consisting of leather, the best way to translate this trend into your wardrobe would be a staple leather jacket. Finding one in a neutral colour pallet, such as brown, allows you to have a statement piece that is also very versatile. My favourite leather jackets have been found in charity shops, specifically the ones in Stokes Croft. Whilst vintage stores are usually a fantastic, sustainable alternative to high street stores, I have found that their leather jackets are considerably more expensive than those in charity shops. This large price gap is very rarely reflective of quality, as ultimately these jackets are incredibly durable. If you want a less overdone alternative to this trend, try searching Depop and charity stores for old motorcycle jackets. These are often more unique and add colour into your wardrobe, whilst still providing the warmth and on-trend feel that comes with a classic leather jacket.

Sweater Vests and Collars

With the preppy style showing up all over the place this season, two of my favourite items have been sweater vests and the re-emergence of collars. Sweater vests have conventionally been regarded as unattractive and boring, but paired with a good pair of oversized blue jeans, layered with a long sleeve top, this item is quickly becoming a staple of my wardrobe. The other item that is great to wear beneath a sweater vest (or any jumper) is a collared shirt. Fashion houses such Miu Miu and Prada displayed extraordinarily oversized collars in their collections, but I have found that a simple polo shirt works just as well to add another dimension and colour to an outfit. Any old shirt will achieve the same look, and save you from spending money on yet another trend. A great place to get a simple sweater vest would be & Other Stories as theirs are typically made from organic cotton. Their use of organic cotton makes then much more sustainable than other fast fashion options, and at £17, their sweater vests really are a steal.

Patchwork

Patchwork appeared in jeans back in spring, but this autumn many designers are taking this to a new level by mixing multiple different fabrics and prints to make statement items. These designs emerged alongside the exposed seam trend, which has been growing in popularity since mid August. The most accessible form of this trend has been patchwork tops on Depop, made by small brands. These shops typically create their pieces by hand, making them ethical and reasonably priced. Do not be deterred by the slightly longer production time of these items, their sustainability and quality are well worth it. Each item is completely unique, and with a trend such as patchwork, why not have a piece nobody else will ever have?

So, there you have it – three of the AW ’20 trends and how to style them sustainably. 

For more sustainable style, check out my top 3 depop shops:

1. OFFKUT studio @offkut

2. Isabella Vrana @bellavrana

3. Katja Isabella @katjabiggs

This article is part of a themed content week celebrating our fantastic Contributing Writers. The role is flexible, fun, free and open to anyone!

Gabby Ellis

Bristol '23

I'm Gabby, I'm a first year doing Liberal Arts majoring in English Literature, and I am a contributor for Her Campus Bristol.
Her Campus magazine