This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

We’ve all been in the situation where you dress in warm clothing in the morning, thinking you’re being super sensible, only to arrive at your destination sweating, overheated and very stressed. Whilst this is in part due to the multitude of ridiculous hills in Bristol, it’s also due to the unpredictable weather. In Britain, one minute its raining, the next minute its sunny and the minute after that there’s a howling wind. Welcome to summer!

For people who are interested in clothes and enjoy picking outfits, this can be a frustrating time of year. What should I wear? Do I need an umbrella? Should I ditch my tights?

Here are some top tips for dressing appropriately for British summer.

Layers

Whilst it may seem obvious, wearing layers is the best way to be prepared for anything. Wear multiple lightweight garments such as t-shirts, jackets and cardigans. If you get too hot or cold, just take off or put back on an item – simple.

(Image: 3.1 Phillip Lim)

Tights

If you’re unsure about whipping out the bare legs, bring a pair of black or nude tights in your bag in case the weather takes a turn for the worse. If you’re feeling brave go for patterns and colours.

(Image: Pinterest)

Bomber jackets

A personal favourite trend of mine for Spring/Summer 2016, bomber jackets are perfect as outerwear. Light enough to tie around your waist on a night out or if things get hot, but substantial enough to act as a cover up. I would really recommend investing in one. They are everywhere on the high street right now in every fabric, colour, pattern imaginable.

(Image: Seyda Karimpour)

Sunglasses

I often forget to bring my sunglasses out with me on a day-to-day basis and always regret it as I end up constantly squinting. You never know when the sun will peek out from behind the clouds, plus its super important to protect your eyes, something which I am definitely guilty of neglecting.

(Image: weheartit)

Channel the 90s

The 90s have made a massive comeback lately. One trend I love is wearing a t-shirt under a slip dress or other spaghetti-strap piece. Previously a favourite of Kate Moss and featured in Clueless, this is a perfect way to make a slip dress appropriate for daytime and for whatever the weather throws at you.

(Image: Whowhatwear)

One last thing – don’t forget your umbrella.

(Image: cartoonstock)

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Her Campus magazine