ELECTHER HERO 1
ELECTHER HERO 1
her campus media
Life > Experiences

How to celebrate the inspirational women in your life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

This week we marked International Women’s Day 2021. We are also nearly at the one-year anniversary of the first UK lockdown due to Covid-19. In a year of unprecedented upheaval, there is no more poignant time to reflect on and appreciate the inspirational women in all of our own lives. 

Reflecting on who the women are who have shaped you in a positive way is a really valuable method of self-reflection both to recognise and embrace your own personal growth and also to appreciate the impact that these wonderful women have had on you. 

It’s not only famous celebrities and trailblazers who shape our lives. Family members, best friends, classmates, teachers, neighbours… we could all reflect on the amazing women we are surrounded by, especially as this year the world has felt like a dark and scary place at times. 

So, I invite you all to spend a few minutes reflecting…. 

• Who makes you feel loved? 

• Who makes you feel safe? 

• Who gives you a boost of confidence? 

• Who inspires you? Who do you aspire to be like? 

The theme for IWD this year is #ChooseToChallenge. Choose to challenge yourself, challenge society and the people around you and call out sexism and inequality when you see it.  

This week, I would also challenge you to take on a more personal quest: tell some of these women about the positive impact they have had on your life. Share some love so we can continue to bolster each other up and stand on each others’ shoulders. 

To end with, some inspiring quotes to celebrate the importance of female solidarity and sisterhood… 

While I may be the first woman in this office, I will not be the last.’ – Kamala Harris’ inauguration speech, 2021 

A sister can be seen as someone who is both ourselves and very much not ourselves a special kind of double.‘ – Toni Morrison 

Well, female friendships are fucking extraordinary.‘ – Keira Knightley

This article is part of a themed content week celebrating International Women’s Day and women who inspire us.

Co-President of Her Campus Bristol