This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.
Today is the 13th of February, which means, in the immortal words of Parks and Recreation’s Leslie Knope, it’s Galentine’s Day

“What’s Galentine’s Day? Oh, it’s only the best day of the year. Every February 13th, Leslie Knope and her lady friends leave their husbands and their boyfriends at home and just kick it breakfast style. Ladies celebrating ladies.”

Whether you’re romantically tethered to another person or not (let’s keep this gender neutral), there’s something very special about female friendship, which is why Galentine’s Day is such a great excuse to blow off the day’s commitments, and say ‘Hey! You identify as a lady! Let’s eat these pancakes!’

It has become a tradition (and by tradition I mean We Did It Last Year And I’ve Made A Facebook Event So We’re Doing It This Year Too, Okay?) in my social circle to celebrate Galentine’s Day so I’ve put together a checklist so that you can too!
  1. Assemble your lady friends (no-one who identifies as male allowed)
  2. Go to a place (we choose Boston Tea Party, but there are a host of suitable places for such a celebration – go to ‘Spoons! Get day drunk!)
  3. Have a Great Time (maybe buy each other gifts or recite poetry about how much you love them)
  4. Eschew all other commitments and ignore all boys (boys are lame)
  5. Take the wonderful feelings you feel whilst bathed in a beacon of lady love and bottle them up to keep you going through the next year of being Surrounded By Men All The Time
  6. Hug each other
You don’t have to do all those things – some are optional. Just make sure you tell the gals in your life how much they mean to you, because Girls Are Important and the world doesn’t tell them that enough.

For more ideas, see this handy guide to DIY Galentine’s Day Gifts

Happy Galentine’s Day! 

Elinor is a third year English student at the University of Bristol. She spends a lot of time reading (less than she should), watching television (the opposite), and performing improvised comedy across the city and beyond! 
Her Campus magazine