katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Things To Do In Summer That Are Free

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

1. Go to the Festival of Nature

In the second weekend of June, The Bristol Festival of Nature is taking place at the Harbourside. This huge (and free) event includes fascinating talks, live entertainment, and a market bursting with local produce (and probably a lot of free tasters). And there are butterfly houses. Need I say more?

(Photo Credit: Science Daily)

2. Go to Sweaty Betty

You might think that Yoga and Pilates classes are only for the yummy mummies of Clifton. Think again. Sweaty Betty on Park Street offers free Express classes. All you have to do is sign up, book a class, and turn up.

(Photo Credit: The Pilates Suite)

3. Go wild swimming

Claverton Weir, just outside Bath, is a beautiful place to try wild swimming for the first time. Clear and cool water, idyllic waterfalls, and beautiful scenery. It’s the perfect place to while away a few hours in the summer sunshine.  

(Photo Credit: Geograph) 

4. Go to a life drawing class

Ok, I’ll admit it’s not completely free. But pay just £5 and you can go to an untutored life-drawing session at Cafe Kino in Stoke’s Croft. Even if you don’t feel that drawing comes naturally to you, it is a great opportunity for you to try your hand at life drawing in an unpressured environment.

(Photo Credit: Cafe Kino)

5. Bristol Balloon festival

Although attending the legendary Balloon Festival at Ashton Court will set you back a fair bit, it doesn’t mean that you can’t take part. And the sight of hundreds of balloons floating over the city is one you won’t be forgetting for a while. Head to The White Lion Inn of the Avon Gorge Hotel, grab a drink and watch in wonder.  

(Photo Credit: Elite Air)

Bethan is Deputy Lifestyle Editor for Her Campus Bristol.Loves: yoga, reading, the mountains, bonfires and cadbury chocolate!Hates: the rain, getting up early in the morning, pigeons.Recent favourite read: 'How to Be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran
Her Campus magazine