‘Empire of Dirt’ turns heads in global dub scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Earlier this month, the seminal dubstep label DEEP MEDi celebrated 100 releases at Electric Brixton. If you don’t know about the label already, DEEP MEDi has pioneered the earthy sounds of dubstep since its founding in 2006. The Skrillex facade that has seemed to envelop the name of dubstep for the past few years is ostensibly fading, undoubtedly due to DEEP MEDi. By fostering a talented group of committed producers, DEEP MEDi have navigated a minefield of stereotypes about the genre itself. Yet I can whole-heartedly say that I believe popular opinion around the term ‘dubstep’ is slowly changing, at last, to give due credit to the genre. 

DEEP MEDi and Mala in particular, have teased fans with the song in live sets for months and it’s worked. Egoless’ first EP for the label sold out in a matter of days, making Egoless a vital member of the label’s archives. The haunting introduction echoes the listener’s feeling. No, we don’t want Empire of Dirt to end as quickly as it does. Its hypnotic flute sampling grants the tune its rarity and ultimately, it’s ability to stick in your mind for days.

If you haven’t heard it yet I suggest you do, the track is available on Spotify and Apple Music but you will have to watch DEEP MEDi online closely to secure the EP on vinyl  as all copies are currently sold out. 

Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.