Easy Cocktail Recipes for a Girls’ Night In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

#1: TROPICAL

One of the easiest ways to serve lots of drinks on a girls’ night in is to make a punch. There’s a rhyme for making punch in Barbados that goes “one of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak” – from this we get the following super simple recipe:

1 part lemon juice

2 parts sugar

3 parts rum – if you’re feeling really flash, make this a mixture of light, spiced and dark rums.

4 parts mixer – try pineapple juice and grenadine to make a Hurricane-inspired punch, or ginger beer (and lime instead of lemon) for a Dark N’ Stormy.

Recommended pairings: Mean Girls, homemade pizza.

#2: FANCY

If punch is a bit too Spoons for you, mix 2 parts sparkling wine with one part grapefruit juice for easy grapefruit mimosas. Once the weather warms up, top a healthy glug of Aperol with sparkling wine to make an Aperol Spritz (is it just me, or was Aperol everywhere last summer? Not that I’m complaining!)

Recommended pairings: Fatal Attraction, decorative nibbles.

#3: ‘ARD

Want something stronger? Mix 1 part gin with 1 part lime juice for a Gin Gimlet, or 1 part tequila with 1 part fizzy water, a splash of triple sec and some ice for a Margarita On The Rocks.

To make a Long Island Iced Tea, add equal amounts of gin, light rum, vodka, tequila and triple sec to a glass, add half that amount of sour mix (cheat by just dissolving some sugar in lemon juice) then top up the glass with coke (if there’s 5 of you, just buy a spirit each and the drinks will seem verrrry good value by the end of the evening.)

Recommended pairings: There’s Something About Mary, cheesy nachos.

#4: NON-ALCOHOLIC

Top up half a glass of sweet aloe vera juice (you can buy this at Wah Yan Hong supermarket on Denmark Street opposite College Green – it’s really worth a try!) with cranberry juice and lemonade.

Mix 2 parts apple juice with one part lime juice, stuff a few raspberries in the glass and top up with ginger beer.

Recommended pairings: The Breakfast Club, copious amounts of popcorn.

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4

Georgie is a second year German and Russian student at the University of Bristol, though her favourite language is Swedish. She spends far too much money on makeup and magazines. Her dream is to win Mastermind.