Donald Trump Period Pants: Inappropriate or Funny?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As the USA’s general election rapidly approaches, it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore repeated comments made by Donald Trump regarding women’s reproductive rights, including his plan to criminalise abortions. One response, by an Etsy store called “Bloody Mary”, has customers waiting months to receive their orders due to unprecedented popularity.   

This independent business is giving those of us who menstruate the opportunity to do so onto the face of Donald Trump, by printing his face into the crotch of reusable period pants. A variety of other politicians’ faces are also available, all of whom have hindered the progression of women’s reproductive autonomy in the USA, such as Ted Cruz and Sarah Palin, and are referred to as “Blood Dumpsters”.

The reaction to this product has been somewhat mixed, with the general majority finding it a hilarious and light-hearted response to a very serious issue. There are, however, some things that I think ought to be considered with the purchase of Trump period pants. When we think about why this concept is considered so amusing, it points towards the idea of periods as something to be disgusted by. Perhaps by menstruating all over the images of these politicians is quite funny, but does it perpetuate the thought that periods are offensive?

(Photo Credit: www.funnyordie.com)

It would be easy to dismiss this thought as overanalytical, but with the seemingly never ending taboo surrounding periods I feel it’s something worth our consideration. Alternatively, we could view these pants as an artistic statement: we are not offended by our bodies’ natural functions, but are using them to defy those that do.

As well as the novelty factor of “Blood Dumpsters”, the company are also receiving attention for their donations to charity. For every purchase, $3 is donated to Planned Parenthood in the state governed by the politician in your chosen underwear. This gestures indicates that maybe these pants are more than just a funny gift idea gone viral, but are a creative expression within a serious feminist movement.

Politics aside, the promotion of different sanitary products is undoubtedly a positive thing. Being reusable, period pants are environmentally and economically superior to disposable products. Additionally, the publicity is beneficial in making us aware of the many options that are available. Together with the rise of the menstrual cup, this will hopefully result in a better general knowledge of the various products on offer.

It is for these reasons that I think Trump period pants can be seen as not just a funny political statement, but a genuine cause with an array of advantages. 

Her Campus magazine