Do we have to keep the CHRIST in CHRISTmas?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Every December on the 25th day, Christmas comes around. This day is traditionally to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ, the second part of the Christian trinity. However, in countries such as the UK, many non-religious people celebrate the day as a time for festivities, good food, presents and family. This seems to be a positive day for most, but it begs the question – is it okay to celebrate Christmas if you’re not religious? 

As a Christian who has only lived in a predominantly secular country, the UK, it has always been normal that the celebration of Christ’s birth, which I celebrate as part of my religion, is also the celebration of many who arguably do remove the religiosity from this special day. 

You may have heard some conservative Christian perspectives demanding that Christ be kept in Christmas, and that removing him from this day is a travesty. And yes, that seems to be a fair claim. However, that should only apply to those who want and believe that Christ is the spirit of their Christmas. But, by demanding non-believers to feel the same way, only divorces the importance of love from the merrymaking. 

So, the question arises again, is it okay to celebrate Christmas if you’re not religious?

I have no issue with this. Why would I? 

Christmas, in essence of what it is, should be celebrated by many. For those who are religious, they would not deny that all people are God’s children and so their celebration, with belief or not, is still an implicit recognition of the importance of this day. So even if you do not fully (or even slightly) believe that the son of God, Jesus Christ, was born in Bethlehem in a stable, you still have a right to enjoy the festivities. 

Not only is Christmas for everyone, just as Christ is, celebrating Christmas, in the eyes of many Christians, is embodying Christian values. Christmas brings together family, camaraderie, and joy – all things that are at the centre of the Christian perspective. By welcoming people into the magic of Christmas, this is showing the model of Jesus to all. 

If you’re non-religious and wondering whether it’s okay that you’re celebrating Christmas, panic not. For what Christmas has become in this day and age, is something that is defined by many by what they want it to be. The very spirit of Christmas is to love and be loved, regardless of who you are, what you believe, and why you’re celebrating. 

The spirit of Christmas transcends just one group or another, so grab a mince pie, hold the people you love tight, and embrace the festivity. 

Annabel Spink

Bristol '23

Third year Religion and Theology student who's obsessed with writing and reading. An absolute lover of stories, the colour green, and finding magic in the mundane.