This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Yes, the weather outside is frightful, but you can still look delightful! It’s a common misconception that we look and feel our least healthy and least attractive during winter. This theory is certainly an understandable one: we live in Britain after all. It’s freezing, our skin is dry, our lips are chapped and we rarely get to see even a hint of sunlight. As students it’s even worse: disputes with flatmates about when to put the heating on (if you haven’t done it yet, I think we can safely say the time has well and truly come), being so cold you adopt the duvet burrito look or, worse, consider full-on hibernation. None of this is good for your skin, hair, nails, lips; the list goes on. But all this cold weather really means is that you need to adjust your beauty regime to suit the arctic conditions we’ve been experiencing the last few days.

(Photo Credit: Google)

Most of your winter woes can be solved by one simple solution: moisturise, moisturise, moisturise. Maybe you don’t normally use moisturiser, or maybe you do. Either way, you need to do it a lot more. Just think of it this way: the cold is drying out your skin on a greater scale, so you need to counteract that by adding even more moisture to your skin. Elizabeth Arden’s Eight Hour Cream is pretty much a godsend. At £26, it’s pretty pricey, but I have a feeling that it will revolutionise your life. And I have plenty of sources who’d back me up on that. You can use it for pretty much anything, face, skin, lips, hands; you name it. This is a great all-round product.

If you already suffer from a skin condition, such as eczema (making winter skin an even bigger issue!), you might be better going for Eucerin’s Dry Skin Replenishin Face Cream. A brand normally treated as medicinal for skin conditions, this intensive moisturising cream will have that extra moisturising effect that you need in winter, even if you don’t have a skin condition.

(Photo credit: Google)

When it comes to lips, my flatmate recently introduced me to a great product from Lush. Their Lip Scrub which comes in really fun flavours from bubble gum to popcorn to mint choc chip, makes your lips unbelievably soft and tastes great too. Plus, the tub will last you far beyond the winter season, as a tiny amount goes a long way. I think I’ll be going for Popcorn!

(Photo credit: lush.co.uk)

And last, but by no means least, is hair. Some of you may find it surprising that I’m offering winter hair advice, whilst you look at your luscious, sleek, bleach-free hair in the mirror. Well, if, like me, you were born with naturally curly or frizzy hair (thanks Mum!), or you colour it, or both, you’ll know what I mean about winter hair problems. The weather only makes hair dry, brittle and more prone to breakage. If you are willing to splash out on hair products, you can’t get any better than Kerastase and their Hair Masks. Just use once a week and leave it in your hair for as long as you can (overnight if possible) and you’ll see a radical change in your hair. However, if you’re looking for a cheap fix, Aussie has recently introduced their Winter Miracle range of shampoo and conditioner. Having used their 3 Minute Miracle Mask and loved it, I was embarrassingly excited about this new winter based product. At a mere £2.98 each, you can’t not try it out.

Hopefully, then, the end of your winter beauty blues is nigh. Get ready to look and feel great, and embrace the joys of winter! And maybe get your flatmates to turn the heating on as well… we have reached minus numbers after all.

Danni is the Beauty Editor of Her Campus Bristol. She is a third year English student hoping to have a career in the fashion and beauty industry. Never seen without winged eyeliner, avid Vogue collector.
Her Campus magazine