China Bowls: Bristol’s Own Contribution to the Jazz and Soul Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Amongst Bristol’s abundant multi-genre music scene, the timeless classics that are jazz and soul music remain very prevalent. Reminiscent of artists such as Jorja Smith and Greentea Peng, Bristol based China Bowls brings her own refreshing twist to this genre. Her music combines her rich and soulful vocals with a beautiful stripped back guitar on top of a loose infectious beat.

In a 2016 she was first signed with Saffron Records, a Bristol based female- run record label that aims to promote more opportunities for women in music and music production. Since then, she’s not only toured Bristol, accompanied by artists such as BST and Wormclub disco, but has also toured across the UK, playing sets at both Glastonbury and Boomtown festival. 

Her latest release Before I knew you begins with an old school jazz style intro before slipping into a fusion of neo- soul and blues. One of her more soulful songs, it showcases her very observational style of song writing. Each word gently runs into each other, accompanied by subtle but beautiful harmonies in the background. It tells the story of the struggle between your heart and your head when looking back on past relationships; having to deal with ‘drowning in nostalgia’ but ultimately knowing you’re better off without them.

Her voice has a lilting quality that draws you in to really focus and absorb the music. She uses just the right amount of instrument layering: her songs don’t feel overcrowded, instead they feel well thought and constructed. Whilst she is vocally capable of some amazing runs, her music isn’t littered unnecessarily with them just to prove that she can, instead they are scattered tastefully and well controlled throughout (particularly in her song The way). 

For anyone already appreciative of the neo- jazz and soul era, China Bowls is a definite must listen. Alternatively, if your music taste is less niche and you just appreciate a good artist, she’s the perfect addition to a chill vibes, autumn evening playlist and a great way to support Bristol talent. 

You can listen to her on Spotify and SoundCloud by just searching China Bowls and keep up with her on Instagram @chinabowlsmusic 

I’m a second year student studying Anthropology at Bristol, I particularly enjoy photography, writing and travelling- when I’m able to again :(