Bristol’s Best Spots for Essay Escape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

If it wasn’t already apparent by the exponential growth in numbers in the ASS Library, for many of us that dreaded time of term is here again. Yes, the impending doom of deadlines is imminent, but do not despair – life is not completely bleak. No matter how much of your word count you may or may not have managed, getting the work: play balance right is important. Whether you’re unwinding after a long day of work or need a distraction from the all-nighters that are becoming increasingly inevitable, we’re here to help!

(Her Campus does not in any way advocate procrastination or last minute essay writing. Nope. Never.)

1) Have a drink on the river

Whether you’re drowning your sorrows or toasting a successful submission, there’s nothing better than a drink on the Bristol riverside. Why not go all out and get on a boat: The Apple (with cute fairy lights, a cosy atmosphere & brilliant cider) and The Grain Barge (with live music, quiz nights and food deals) are personal favourites.

2)   Go to the cinema

A good movie is the perfect way to switch off once your brain becomes saturated. If you’re feeling extravagant, head to Cinema de Lux in Cabot, which is a little on the pricey side, but offers super comfy seats, huge screens and an abundance of snacks. There’s also an Odeon in Broadmead, or if you’re feeling like something a little different, try The Watershed at Harbourside, which offers a wide range of independent films.

3) Take a walk

When you hit that dreaded brick wall and need to clear your head, there’s nothing better than a bit of fresh air and exercise to get you back on track. Luckily, wherever you live in Bristol, you’re never too far from a scenic spot. My favourite getaway is Brandon Hill, hidden just off Park Street, which boasts breath-taking views over the city along with some very tame squirrels.

4) Have a cuppa

Sometimes, a quick caffeine fix is the only way to keep you powering through a last minute essay session. If you’ve had enough of the ASS Library café, then why not take a walk to Friska on the Triangle. Their cheesecake brownies are heavenly – and at £1.50 a pop, they’re not too much of a splurge for a student budget.

Jess is a final year English student at Bristol. Coming from Belfast, one of her favourite sources of amusement are the constant attempts (by friends and strangers alike) to master the elusive Northern Irish accent. She also loves spending time exploring Bristol with friends and sampling the city's culinary and cultural offerings.
Ella is one of the two CC's for Her Campus Bristol. She is currently in her final year at the University of Bristol, reading English Literature. Ella loves buffets, art and fashion - she is hoping to make it as the next Anna Wintour. You can follow her on Twitter @ella_wills where she will mostly post mindless attempts at humour.