Bristol’s Best Rainy Day Excursions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

The clocks have changed and winter is fast approaching, bringing with it rainy days and early sunsets. For all those weekdays not spent slaving over papers in the ASS and weekends not spent enjoying (or recovering from) the In:Motion winter warmes, here’s a list of the best places to spend those rainy afternoons

AirHop

Source: Facebook

Just outside Bristol is the world’s biggest trampoline park. When it’s too grim to go and kick a football about on the downs, AirHop is a great place to go burn some energy, chase away that hangover and get some endorphins pumping to help chase away the winter blues. Prices start from just £10 and it’s awesome to do with your friends.

Arnolfini

Source: Arnolfini

For the less active, Arnolfini is a serene haven to spend an afternoon. This winter’s exhibition, “Emotional Archaeology”, features a room full of huge metal cacti and film installations to boot. Located on harbourside, Arnolfini also boasts an upstairs reading room which is a great alternative study space.

Bristol Museum and Art Gallery

Source: Pintrest

Along the same lines, Bristol museum and art gallery is right on the triangle, perfect for taking refuge if you’re caught in a rainstorm when you’re out in town. As well as their permanent and temporary exhibitions, the museum hosts lectures and talks, and is completely free.

At-Bristol

Source: At-Bristol

At-Bristol is Bristol’s science museum. Though mostly tailored for kids, the museum hosts monthly adult-only nights complete with bars and a DJ, definitely not one to be missed. Release your inner child and play with enormous bubbles and water features. The neighbouring planetarium also hosts evening viewings every week.

The Island

Source: Slider

The Island in Cabot Circus is made up of the old court rooms, prison cells, and firestation, which have been converted into a vibrant multi-use venue. As well as great alternative club nights, The Island is home to art studios which put on fascinating exhibitions of local art and unusual installations. The most recent have been themed around the porn industry and recycled art.

Watershed

Source: Tumblr

The Watershed is Bristol’s alternative cinema. For students, tickets for most screenings during the week are just £4.50. Though you won’t often find the latest blockbusters on show here, Watershed has had screenings of documentaries, including Louis Theroux’s “My Scientology Movie” and a variety of cornerstone nature documentaries as part of the Witness the Wild festival last month.

Tash is the deputy lifestyle editor of Her Campus Bristol. She is a second year English student hailing from Landan town - Her favourite pastimes include browsing the internet looking for her summer holiday destinations and walking everywhere. She enjoys interior design and thinking about space.
Her Campus magazine