This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

HC Bristol and HCX have paired up to find out if individual style on campus actually exists; are we all a bunch of walking clichés?

Bristol

Its no secret that Bristol has a reputation for being a pretentiously “edgy” uni. The “gap yah” stereotypes live and breathe among us and it’s hard to ignore the trends that infiltrate the student body. Everyone seems to wear Nike trainers, puffa jackets with fur round the hood, vintage sports sweatshirts and Topshop “Mom” jeans. 

Gap yah

(Photo credit: The Telegraph)

Of course this is an exaggeration, but walking down Woodland Road and seeing an army of identical backpacks marching towards you can be slightly disconcerting. Is the Bristol Bubble to blame or are all universities like this?

What Student’s Think of Bristol’s Campus Style

“Before coming to Bristol I just wore what I liked and got on with it. But at uni I feel a lot more pressure to wear certain labels, although it wasn’t a conscious thing at first.” – Anonymous

“I definitely don’t think I dress like everyone else. I try and buy clothes from charity and vintage shops, that way you can find stuff no one else has. It really irritates me when people act like sheep and just want what everyone else is wearing.” – Hattie Hansen

“Everyone wears wavey garms.” – Anonymous

“Most people confine themselves to the Bristol student starter pack, but you do get some pretty eccentric styles now and again which is nice.” – Sam Toller

We asked HCX’s Fashion Editor Bethany about Exeter Student Style

Known stereotypically as the “green welly brigade university,” it seems nearly impossible to mention Exeter uni to someone without a joke being made about Jack Wills and Hunter boots. According to other universities, apparently we love nothing more a quilted gilet, a checkered flat cap and of course some good old fashioned riding breeches. Now, while we may have a high tree to student ratio, we do still live in a city and so horse riding gear is not really all that necessary or popular for everyday campus looks.

Contrary to popular belief, not what Exeter students dress like

(Photo credit: equestrianhaus)

Exeter is the pioneer of the gym clothes look. Being one of the top sports universities in the country, it’s no wonder that the “sporty” look dominates Forum Hill every day. Whether or not people are actually doing sport in them is irrelevant. Exeter style is also quite preppy. While we may not all walk around in polo shirts, there is admittedly some truth to the “Jack Wills” myth, because Exeter students do love a bit of prep.

What Students Think of Exeter’s Campus Style

“It’s quite sporty (loads of leggings) but some people make more of an effort and wear lots of Jack Wills!” – Katie Russell

“There are too many trainers around for somewhere mainly meant for learning rather than working out/sport. Also I’m disturbed at how many Canada Goose coats I see around per day, knowing that the basic one costs £800 which could feed a family for a month.” – Flora Burles

“Exeter has lots of different styles, although infamous for the gym kit and puffa coat combo, there is so many well-dressed people out there with impeccable style and very chic wardrobes.” – Courtney Clarke”

“You can smell the money a mile off.” – Anonymous 

It seems that whilst Bristol favours the hippy, vintage and so-called “edgy” styles, our neighbouring Exeter students have more of a sporty and preppy look. But should we be making more of an effort to stand out?

Stereotypically, most young people are fashion conscious and it’s no surprise that we follow the same trends. However, this issue feeds into the wider problem of “fitting in” at university. The social pressures placed upon students are immense, be it studying, societies, drugs or alcohol. Wearing the “right” thing is just another worry, particularly for those students who can’t afford the trendiest clothes or feel like they don’t have the “Bristol aesthetic” that characterises the “cool kids”.

Whilst I am a huge believer in the cultural importance of fashion, we have to be careful that it doesn’t create divisions. The best way to do this? Simply wear what YOU like!

Abbie is Lifestyle Editor for HC Bristol, currently studying English at the University of Bristol.
Bethany is a third year english student studying at Exeter University and is the Fashion and Beauty Editor for Exeter's chapter of Her Campus. In between shopping for the latest trends and reading the latest celebrity gossip and fashion news, she enjoys working out and improving on her fitness. Bethany is also a keen photographer, often seen snapping photos of the night sky and friends. She dreams of travelling the world and discovering its couture, food and sites, and ultimately becoming a successful writer.
Her Campus magazine